XXXIX. My Heart is Missing

Ava's POV:

"You set my brother up with a girl who is nickname Luckless Lyah?" I screamed into the phone.

"Oh my gosh. That's just a nickname."

"You knew!"

There's the sound of video games on the other end. "Didn't you?"

Most likely, I did know. But, in my past, i.e., before I got thrown back here. How can I remember every fucking thing from high school? From twenty damn years ago?

"No. I forgot and-" I groaned. "Are you crazy?"

"Lyah is rich and pretty." She didn't even deny how I called her crazy. "So what if some of her boyfriends lost a foot or-"

"End up dead?"

"That was one time!" She rebuttal. "And it wasn't her fault. The guy should've checked his car instead of driving it to death."

"That...is witty but not funny."

"Out of context." Winnie exhaled, "I know you heard all these things about Lyah, but none of it is her fault. She has a little bit of bad luck. That's all. But, deep down, past the bitchiness. She is a good person. Half a year ago, she adopted a very ugly cat."

"What?"

"Trevon can be her next ugly cat."

"Winnie, that is the weirdest thing I've ever heard. My brother is not an animal."

"Technically, humans are animals. So, yeah. We're fucking homosapiens."

I cannot believe what just came out of Winnie's mouth.

"What the fuck did I just say?" She groans, "Your geekiness is rubbing off on me. I hope you're happy." I'm going to assume she said that to Ben.

"No. No. You're going to call her and cancel the date."

"What? No! The date is in like an hour. I can't mess with my girl like that."

"Well, if you picked up your phone last night or this morning, she wouldn't have been nearly ready." I called Winnie several times, but she didn't pick up. I tried to call Ben too, but he also didn't pick up. What's the point in having a phone if you won't answer other people's calls?

"Look. We both know Lyah is way out of Trevon's lead. Chances are, she'll leave in the middle of the date. She's only going out with him because I told her about Mina, and she's willing to donate a date."

"If it's a date donation, why does she insist on going?"

"How do you think she would feel if someone like Trevon stood her up?"

I cross my legs, "And you're certain she'll leave in the middle of the date?"

"The moment he opens his mouth and talks about that war in the stars."

"If you believe she was going to leave in the middle of the date. Why would you set them up?"

"Because if he can get someone like Lyah to go out with him, then other girls will get interested. They will wonder what's so good about Trevon that Lyah decided to go out with him. Duh."

When I heard footsteps, my eyes flicker towards the door. Trevon went in with an ironed shirt. He grabbed an apple and wiped it on the shirt before he took a bite.

"I got to go. Ben's grandma just called him for dinner, and I gotta go climb out of a window." Winnie ends the call.

I look at the screen, "What?"

"What's going on?" Trevon took another bite and leaned against the couch.

I shook my head, "Nothing." I threw the phone onto the couch. "Shouldn't you get going?"