XXIII. Desperate Grasp for Hope

Ava's POV:

I look forward to seeing Mina and Luke, both in an awful mood. Mina had tears jerking down her scrunched up face while Luke was pale like a ghost. Slowly, they were surrounded by more people, waiting patiently for the show's outcome — the seeming entertainment in their tedious lives.

Luke grabs her hand, "Mina. Please, listen."

She lashes it away, "How can you do this to mean? I believe you, Luke...I-I," and here is the classic cliche line, "I thought you were different." My headache is too severe for this dramatic moment.

Mina walks out of the cafeteria while everyone begins whispering.

"Dude! Congrats! You won the bet!" Landon screamed, and everyone else hollered.

Luke grabbed him by the shirt, "I told you. The bet was off."

He places two hands in the air, "It wasn't me, dude. Then-" his eyes skew towards me. Oh my fucking God.

I pressed my hand further towards my head, hoping that he was looking at someone behind me. Luke marches towards me, one step at a time. He stood in front of me, "What did you say to her?"

This time, I know I wasn't in the wrong. I didn't do anything, and somehow he blamed me for what occurred, "I don't even know what you're talking about."

"I saw you were standing in front of Mina's locker the other day," he said.

I gaze behind him to see Sarah and the two other girls. Quickly, they averted their eyes.

I folded my arms, "So?"

Luke held up a note, "Did you put this note inside her locker?"

I glance at the note, feeling the pulsing sensation stronger than ever, "I didn't do it."

He scoffed, "And what? You expect me to believe you?"

"Frankly, I don't care what you think of me," I said, stepping to the side.

Luke grasps my arm, forcing me to stumble back, "We aren't done talking. Ava did you-" he stopped talking, and I blink, somehow seeing three Luke. I can barely handle one of them, and now there are somehow three. "Ava. Hey, Are you-"

At that moment, it felt as if my heart suddenly stopped beating, and the blood rushed down to my shoes. I sway for just a moment before seeing the blurry bright light from above. "Ava! Ava! Ava!"

I wake up as if it's an emergency, a fire. My heart beat fast, and there was a buzzing sound in my ear. I pressed my hand against my head and attempted to get off the soft surface until a voice said: "Oh, no dear. You need to rest." The school nurse, Mrs.Nash, pushes me slightly downward.

"What happened?" My throat felt dry, an aching sensation.

"You fainted in the cafeteria." She sat beside me, "Have you been resting as I asked?"

"I tried."

Mrs.Nash pulls out a bottle of Tylenol and a sleeping pills bag, "I believe this belongs to you."

I grab it, "How did you know?"

"A student gave it to me. He said it rolled out of your backpack when you were carried here." Mrs.Nash crossed her legs, "Are you okay, Ava? I'm quite concerned. You're in here really often."

I place the medications on my lap, "I'm okay. Just having some trouble sleeping lately."

"If something is bothering you. You can tell me," she suggested.

I smile, "I'm okay, Mrs.Nash. Thank you."

She sighs, "I understand. I won't push any further." She stood up and resumed her work.