XXXVII. Assholeness

Ava's POV:

I refuse to pick up.

No fucking way.

I turn my body to the other side of the room, facing away from the phone. After several more vibrations, I sat up, getting ready to put the phone in airplane mood.

I grab the phone but stop when I see a voicemail.

I shouldn't listen to it.

I know I shouldn't.

However, there was this uncomfortable sensation lurking inside my stomach. Taking a sharp breath, I click on the voicemail app and punch in my code. Pressing the phone against my ear, there was a burst of music banging in the background.

A party, of course.

"Hey, Ava?" This is unexpected. It wasn't Luke's voice. "You may not know me, but I'm one of Luke's friends, Daniel Rowland. I'm sorry for calling you this late, but I couldn't call anyone else. I know you and Luke aren't on the best terms right now, but Luke is really wasted, and he refused to go home. I don't want to leave him here alone, but my girlfriend and sister want to go home. I can't convince Luke to leave, and I remember how he only listens to you when he's like this. Please, if you get this, come soon. The address is XXX."

I released a deep breath when the voicemail ended. I groaned, throwing my body down on the bed. Staring at the phone resting on the pillow, I debated whether to pick him up.

Shoving the keys inside my jacket's pocket, I stared at the large house with bright lights in front of me. "What am I doing here?" I grumbled before opening the door. I stepped out of the car and began walking towards the house. The closer I got, the louder the music blasted. I can pick up heavy scents of alcohol taking me back to my party past.

I threw a hood over my head to avoid any attention. "Pick him up and leave. Pick him up and leave," I mumbled, feeling irritated due to the sudden awakening.

Crashing and dodging into each person, I grab the phone and dial Luke once more.

The phone clicked.

"Where are you?" I asked.

"Oh, holy fuck! You came! Okay, we are in the second-floor bathroom. It's the fourth door to the right," Luke's friend said, and I rush upstairs, dodging the bodies once more. Reaching the destination, my heart was palpitating due to leaping and dodging, mixing with the heavy scent of alcohol. I raise a knuckle and knock against the door. Suddenly, it burst open, and I was greeted with a relieved smile.

"Thank God you're here, Ava," Daniel said, tilting his body to the side. I partially remember him. He is on the same football team as Luke.

Immediately, Luke came into view. His head was pressed into the toilet, one which I assume contained his glorious vomit. His mouth partially slacks open, eyes in a complete haze. There were two girls behind him, one patting his back and the other casually taking photos of him, in no doubt establishing a physical memorial memory.

His emerald eyes met him, and a grin crossed his red face. "Now, this is what I'm talking about!" Luke slurred, stumbling his way towards me. "Makee!" He hit his head against the wall, causing everyone to wince and look away. I'm going to assume this isn't the first he had done that tonight.

He fell on top of me, my hands still stuck inside my jacket's pockets as I stumbled slightly, fingers fiddling with the keys. "Finally come back to your senses, eh Makee?" he grinned, a truly foolish one.

I held the barfing sensation inside my mouth, inhaling the fading scent of puke from him. Unable to contain it, I plug my nose and slightly push him back. Unknown to my sudden superhero-like power, he plummets into the ground. After a good ten seconds, he finally recognizes his pain. "Ow. That hurt." His tone was flatter than a can of soda after three hours of being exposed to air.