XVII. Twin Telepathy

Ava's POV:

I shuffled the cards in my hands, before doing a simple card trick that caused dad's mouth to gap open. "Where did you learn how to do that?"

I grinned, throwing cards around the table, "Seems like you haven't paid enough attention to your favorite daughter."

Trevon rolled his eyes, "You're his only daughter."

I took a bite off of mom's famous chocolate chip cookies, "And that's why you're his favorite son."

"He's my only son," dad bluntly stated the words Trevon said earlier, causing the whole dining room to burst out laughing.

Tonight is a family fun night. In the past, I would've somehow escaped it and hung out with my friends. However, being with them right now makes me realize how much I miss it.

I love family traditions.

I miss the winter warmers mom would knit with Trevon, the ones that make chilly days cozy. Then, there is the apple pie that mom and I bake together. I can't wait for the summertime, where we would rent out a cabin by the lake.

However, being here reminds me that I ruined everything.

Instead of chubby pink cheeks and a bright smile that follows my dad, I can still remember the abstract sculpture of bones, doomed by prominent cheekbones. All carved by the little girl, he called his princess.

The beautiful woman settling beside me wasn't in her loose t-shirt and messy bun hair. And by the hands of her daughter, she was drizzled in the wrong paint, ruined.

Moreover, to the young man diagonal from me, he wasn't a brother, preferably a stranger — a man who looks at me with society's eyes, shame.

A kingdom has fallen in the hands of the princess.

If I can admit anything.

I was pretty.

That was my only talent.

No, I can spread my legs pretty well too.

I guess I do have more than one talent.

I slide on the sunglasses I bought earlier despite it being indoors, attempting to act cool. "Flush b-"

Dad coughed.

"Flush Bambi. Yes, Bambi." I took off the sunglasses and smiled at dad's glare.

Trevon threw down the deck of cards, "You cheated!"

I place a hand on my chest and gasp, "Moi?"

"Yes! Mom!" he whined, knowing dad won't take his side.

I place my hands over his mouth, "Sharpen your ears and listen closely." I stare at him with oddly widening eyes, "If you listen closely, you can hear me not giving a shit."

Dad coughed and smiled, batting my lashes at him. I stood up, scrambling my legs over to his side; I rested my head on his shoulder. "I meant poop, daddy. Poop," I said, and he patted my head in approval.

"Dad!" Trevon screamed.

"What? You lost, so cough up the dough," he said.

I stuck out my tongue at him.

Trevon slammed his hands on the table and began his chase after me. "Daddy! Daddy!" I called for support and pulled him up to protect me.

"Kids! Kids!" Dad screamed when we started kicking and hitting each other while mom burst out laughing on the other side of the room.