LIX. MarBear

Ava's POV:

Spring break drifted past by, and soon, I found myself back in school. Everything was the same as usual.

The teachers asked us how our was Spring break.

Students act as if they haven't seen their friends in forever.

And Eli behaved as if he didn't spill his life to me.

Then, there's me who pretended everything is okay...when it's not.

After cheer practice, I find myself in the back of the school with Seth eating a popsicle beside me.

"You sure you don't want me to grab you one? They had like a bucket full."

I glanced at him for a brief moment, before I returned to my pathetic state.

Seth popped the popsicle out, "Hey cheer up," he said. He stuffed his hand inside his pocket, "If you don't want popsicles I got candy too." He laid several melted chocolate in front of me.

I hold back the urge to slap the candy off his hand. "I don't want any."

Seth shrugged, "More for me." He shoved the candy back into his pocket. With his back pressed against the wall, he said: "It's not the end of the world."

"Thanks for being so understanding." I closed my eyes and allowed the breeze to fly by.

"I mean, I'm not wrong," he muttered.

I opened my eyes, and turned my head to him. "Hey, let me see those chocolates again."

Seth pushes the popsicle in his mouth and pulled out the chocolate. "I got nuts, milk, and-"

I slapped the chocolate off his hand.

"Woah!" He grabbed them from the ground, "Damn, you're mean when you're pissed."

"Then, why poke the bear?" I spat back.

Seth glanced at me before he puffed his cheeks, "Sorry."

I pressed my head against the brick wall, "This sucks."

"You do know Eli is not the only guy in the world, right?"

"I know."

"Then, you know. Just break up with him and both of you can move on."

The reasonable solution to this whole problem is to break up with Eli and have him go to Cleveland. Then, he can meet his future wife and live the rest of his life with her. Then, down the road, they will have a cute child together.

I wonder what the child will look like.

If they look like Eli, that would be cute.

I feel empty.

"You know more than me," I said. "Do you think if I break up with Eli, everything will return to normal?"

Seth laid the half-gone popsicle in the air. The summer heat took its course and its sugary contents dripped onto the dirt. "No," he finally responded. "The guy won't take it easy."

"He won't take it easy?"

"Yeah. Probably dropped on his knees and beg you to stay with him."

I gave him a look of disbelief, "Be serious."

"I am," Seth exaggerated his words by his hands motion, "I mean, think about it. The guy was about to throw fists at me for talking to you and I'm-"

"Talking to me?" I scoffed, "You told me to break up with him in front of him."