XIII. Luke's Party

Ava's POV:

I stood there, crossing my arms and tapping a single foot as the thumping invaded my ears. The scent of alcohol was much too high for comfort, making me question why I enjoy partying back then.

"You call me here for this?" I yell, throwing an arm in the air.

Eli rubs his arm, "I...I have no muscle and Ben...well-"

We look at Ben, who places his inhaler between his lips and begins breathing in.

I glanced down at Trevon, who was utterly passed out, half-naked in the front lawn, "How much did he drink?" Mary asks, poking his red cheek with her forefinger.

Eli places a finger in the air.

"One? He passed out from one cup?" I shout, tugging my black hood over my ears to minimize the music.

Eli smiled, and I noticed a taint of pink resting on his cheeks, "Actually, he had one sip."

I smack my hand over on my head, "Mar, help me lift him," I said, taking a single arm of Trevon while Mary took the other one.

"Cheerleaders are my heroes," Ben sigh dreamily.

I look at Eli and Ben, then Trevon making a mental note to train them. I don't remember much about Eli and Ben in the future since we rarely interact. The only time I saw them was at Trevon's wedding.

Ben was...fat...obesity caught him.

Eli...I don't remember much of him, but I think he was at Trevon's wedding...right?

Whatever, that's irrelevant now because Trevon is not marrying that bitch!

Mary and I threw Trevon into the backseat. I turn around, "Why are you all here?" I scream, remembering how they shouldn't be present.

Trevon, Ben, and Eli should've been at Ben's house - in the basement that Ben claims as his man cave - playing geeky games like they always do every Friday night.

Eli shows off a cheeky smile, "Some girls invited us."

Ben nodded, "They said we are cool!" He pushed up his glasses.

"Huh?"

"It's because of you." Eli scratches his head, "You talk to us, so everyone else began talking to us too."

Oh lord, this is my fault?

"They said we must be cool to hang out with the one and only Ava Makee! The coolest, prettiest, and the sweetest girl at school!" Ben chirped proudly.

I stood there, the raging fire lower inside my chest as I stared at Ben. He continuously pushes up his glasses due to the sweat lurking around his chubby cheeks. The full smile on his face made his dark blue eyes crinkle playfully.

Steadily, anger was replaced with guilt remembering how I practically isolated the three of them throughout high school, labeling them - even my own brother - as losers.

I sigh, "Come on; you two can stay at my house. My parents are out, and you can't go home smelling like alcohol."

Quickly, Eli wraps his arms around my waist and spins me, "You're the best Ava!"

I glanced up, the smile on my face fell flat when I realized Eli held at least a head over me, "You're tall," I blurted out unconsciously.

He smiled but didn't comment.

Ben stood there, clenching onto his inhaler as he glanced at his shoe that dug into the dirt. I sigh, "Come here." I held out my arms.

He waddles towards me and tightly clutches his arms, "I'm hugging Ava Makee!" he squeals.

Mary places a hand over her chest, "Group hug!" she sang, and slammed herself against my back.

"I'm hugging two cheerleaders," Ben raps out. "Thank you, God, I'm ready now."

"I want in!" Eli screams and holds everyone.

My smile only widened, and I couldn't help but laugh. Scooting my face away from Ben's sweaty neck, I twirl my head to the side.

The laughter halts when my nose brushes against Eli's cheeks.

Slowly, his lips spread into a smile, and I could feel it against my ear.

"You look pretty in my jacket," he whispers.

I glanced down, realizing I was in the jacket I borrowed from Eli.

"Why are you still hugging Ava?" Ben whine

.I snap back into reality, realizing Eli was still holding me while Ben and Mary back away, saying how it was getting too hot.

It was indeed getting way too hot.

Eli rubs his cheek against mine, causing my body temperature to rise. "Because I'm a snuggler."

Before Ben can comment, a deep voice blasts in the air. I turn around to see a small crowd gathering, and unconsciously I step back.

"Ohh! Let's go see!" Eli said. He grabs my hand as I try to fight my way back into the car.

Fucking weak, my ass!

He's stronger than his spaghetti arms give him credit!

Eli rushes through the crowd, throwing an arm over my shoulder as I witness two figures looming over a single much smaller person.

Mina stood there with obnoxious tears digging out of her eyes while her red dress barely covered up her ass and breasts. For a girl who doesn't like standing out in the crowd, she sure gathers much attention. Without looking, I know Luke is on one side while Mina's potentially gay best friend is on the other.

I look at Luke, whose eyes seem to be in a total distance.

Narrowing my lids, I lean closer. It was difficult to identify due to the lack of lights, but his tanned cheeks glowed a deep shade of red. He was swaying back and forth, attempting to hold a steady standing.

Is he drunk?

I press my fingers against my temple, not recalling Luke being drunk at this party. Then again, we attended many parties, so my memories aren't entirely trustworthy.

I shook my head and glanced over. My eyes widen, seeing none other than grocery boy - Seth Carrillo.

He's gay?

I scan his body, realizing how fabulous it looks, particularly in his tight blue t-shirt and fitted tanned shorts. In their past, I never really look at Seth, but now - I approve.

I sigh and shake my head.

I look at Luke then at Seth and back to Luke.

Of course, good looking guys are either jerks or gay.

Are there no good men out there?

Eli pinch my cheeks, "Let's start chanting fight," he whispered, smiling once more.

I glare at him then elbow his stomach, "Grow up," I said, before taking a step back. "Let's go."

"You don't want to watch?"

Why watch?

I know how it will end.

"Not interested."