XLV. His Decision

Ava's POV:

Mr. Nocella’s eyes leaped around. He’s probably thinking of what to do next. Or maybe, he’s not thinking at all.

A student.

He’s caught by a student having another student inside his house.

“Miss Makee. This-”

“I had to come back early because Miles and Zach got tired,” I said. “They’re sleeping in the car.” My eyes went towards Maeve. “Eli is watching them.”

Mr.Nocella nods, “R-Right. I’ll go get them.” He looked at Maeve before he left the house.

I turned around.

“Aren’t you wondering why I’m here?” Maeve asked.

I turned around and folded my arms, “I can take a guess.”

Thick jacket and shoes on her feet. “He’s innocent.”

“Oh, I know,” I said. I took a single step towards her, “Considering how you still have your shoes on and-” I placed a hand on her cheek, but she quickly slaps it away, “how your face is still cold. I’m going to guess that you break your way into his house.”

Maeve’s hands curled inward.

I smirked, “Or are you hoping I’ll misunderstand the situation and spread some sort of rumor about you two?”

“I’m not the one who’s always around his children.”

I tilted my head to the side, “Unlike you, everyone knows about us.” I’m not stupid enough to try to keep my babysitting business a secret. Enough people at school know that I babysit Mr. Nocella’s children.

At first, the girls would be envious, but with time, the talk died down.

Now, no one cares.

It’s another part-time job that a teenager took to earn some extra cash.

“And unlike you, my boyfriend knows.”

Maeve’s eyes widen, “He...He-”

I tilted my head, “I’ll give you only one warning. Stay away from him.”

Maeve laughs, “Don’t tell me. You have a thing for Jarrett.”

How childish.

Her attempt to rile me up by using Mr. Nocella’s first name.

I chuckled, “Cute.” She’s not worth the time. I walked outside and towards the driveway.

Outside of the house, Eli and Mr.Nocella were immersed in a deep conversation.

“So, I think you should talk to her and change my test grade,” Eli said.

Okay, not that deep.

The closer I got, the clearer the sight got.

Mr.Nocella held Miles, and Eli had Zach.

I stopped in my tracks, and the warm sensation in my chest increased. When they looked at me, I cleared my throat and walked towards them.

Zach woke up. He rubbed his eyes and looked around, “Who are you?” He asked Eli.

Eli smiled, “I’m your new dad.”

Zach stared at him with his mouth wide open. It’s apparent he’s still half-asleep. “Oh.” He fell asleep in Eli’s arms.

Eli looked at me, “Look. I found us a kiddo. Can we keep him?”