V. Delusional State

Ava's POV:

The water pours down; it drips to my sides. I exhaled softly before I sat on the ground. "This is the life," I said to myself before allowing all my muscles to relax.

The sensation of the steamy water calms me; it takes my mind off of things. Unnecessary thoughts that will only shorten my life.

Sometimes, I feel like this desire to sit inside the tub while showering is a type of forbidden action. So, while my family is home, I don't do it. Even with the locked door, I feel like it's wrong.

Thank goodness, they're all out. Trevon slept over at Eli, and my parents went on a short vacation together.

I groan and slide further down until the water hits my face. I don't ever want to get out. I can hear a buzzing noise from outside. It's my phone. I always carry it around; it's a bad habit.

I forced my way towards the noises and wiped my hand on the towel before picking up the phone. My phone is on the small table beside the shower. I'm not proud of my habits.

"This better be important, Eli."

"Are you showering?"

"I said: it better be important. As in, Trevon got run over by a car, and he's hanging on his lifeline."

"Are you naked?"

"Focus, boy!"

"Well, what do you expect when you answer a call while naked?"

"I'm ending the call."

"Wait. Wait," he said.

"What?"

"Let me wipe the blood from my nose first." I want to laugh and smack his head. "Trevon, ask if you can cover for him tomorrow if your parents call."

"Why doesn't he ask me himself?"

"Oh, well. He went to meet Mina and forgot his phone at my place."

"Why does he need coverage?"

"He wants to take Mina on a short vacation."

"Mina. Mina. Mina," I chanted her name. "It's Mina's world."

"What do you expect? The guy is head over heels for her. I mean, when a guy is head over heels for a girl. He only thinks of her. He really likes her even after finding out her weird habits like picking up the phone while she's showering."

"I don't always do that."

"Don't do this to me, Ava Makee," he said in a severe tone. "You're increasing my hope, and I'm a stupid guy. I'm a stupid guy who makes stupid decisions. I would-" I end the call.

My fingers slide the screen close, and I drift back into a state of relaxation. Among the water drops, small giggles could be heard. "Stupid," I mumbled.

After the overrated long shower, I got dressed and dried my hair. I settled in front of the mirror and patted my head. Before the silence could consume me, I turned on the music.

"Be pretty. Be pretty." I pat the skincare products on my face. People think I'm a natural-born beauty. They're only half correct. I work extremely hard to maintain the beauty.

My phone buzzes. I swear if it's Eli again about my naked body. Next time I see him, I will smack him.

"Eli, I swear if-"

"Ava?" That doesn't sound like Eli.

I look at the caller ID. "Ben?" There aren't a lot of people who call me nowadays. Mostly, it's Eli. Okay, ninety percent of the time.