XVI. The More, The Merrier

Ava's POV:

Trevon ran his tongue across his cheek and nodded. "No, there should be no difference."

Eli smiles, "Then, you're welcome."

I'm not too fond of it—the tension between them.

"Mind stepping out with me, Eli?" Trevon asks. That's a bad idea. I don't want to see them get into a slap fight. Now that I think about it, it sounds more sad than bad.

Eli shrugs, "Sure." They both left my bedroom and dive into a different part of the house.

Once I finished getting ready, I went downstairs to meet everyone else. I greeted each person one by one until I reached the snack table. Mom and dad set up snacks just in case they arrived early.

"Alright," I said. I swallow the last bit of food and set the crackers down. "You two had been staring at me the whole night. What's up?"

Mary and Mina's exchange looks. "We just thought you look gorgeous tonight," Mary said.

"I completely agree," Mina followed. "How did you curl your hair like that?"

"With a curling iron?" I replied.

"Yeah, but how does it look so good? When I tried curling my hair last night, I burnt off a part of my hair." Mina turned around and spread her long hair for us to see the missing part.

"Wow," Mary and I said at the same time. Mina wasn't lying; there is a shorter strand of hair hidden in the back of her head.

"Why didn't you ask your mom to curl it?" Mary asks. Oh, Mary.

Mary has good intentions, but she completely stepped on Mina's sore spot. Mina keeps her private life well-hidden, so no one knows her parents are divorced. Then again, maybe Mary is doing this on purpose.

Mina's gaze cast downward.

"Hey, where's Trev and Eli?" I asked.

"I don't know," Mary replied. "They were here earlier."

Mina looks at me and smiles. It's not like I intentionally helped her. I was curious about what's taking Trevon and Eli so long. Most likely, they're talking about me.

"I'll go look for them," Ben said. He's been sitting on the sofa, munching on snacks.

Before Ben could leave the living room, Trevon and Eli entered. They burst out laughing over something. Okay, maybe they're not discussing me. If they were, laughing should be the last thing they do. Unless Trevon really wants to get rid of me. I wouldn't bet my money on the fact that he doesn't want to get rid of me.

"What's so funny?" Mary asks.

They exchanged looks again, "Nothing," they said at the same time.

Eli's eyes met mine, and instantly he looked away.

That doesn't look like "nothing." Nothing is a word someone uses when there is something.

His eyes flicker back to me. When he notices I was still staring, he looks away.

Mom and dad enter the room, and the torture starts. They would force us to get uncomfortably close and take group photos. Next, it's Trevon and Mina time.

Mom wiped away the tears, "Thank you for giving my boy a chance so that he won't end up in the basement."

"Mom!" Trevon shouted.

"Alright, the picture is done! Next couple!" Mom ignored him.

"What couple?" We all question.

"Well, there's four of you. So, pair up." We all look at each other. Pair up? Who should I pair up with? Ben...Eli?