LI. Pissed Party

Ava's POV:

I buried my face in my hands for nearly the whole day; well, at least until things get better. Things did get better when I got home. The entire week was surprisingly pleasant, neglecting Monstrous Monday.

I sat on the couch, staring at the TV. "Nice to know you're productive," dad said, grabbing the popcorn bowl on my stomach.

"Uh," I responded.

"How?" He asked, sitting at my feet.

"Huh?"

"How did your brother become the one going out on Saturday night while you're lying on the couch like a hermit crab?"

"Ah...Yes...That."

"Well, not that I'm complaining since my little girl is at home," he cooed, placing a nearly empty bowl of popcorn on my stomach.

"Why are you home on Saturday night?" Mom asked.

"Hey! Don't question her! Let her stay at home!" Dad snapped.

She leaned back, "I was asking her. Who are you to-" she pretends to hit him with the purse causing me to chuckle lightly. Dad immediately protects his face with his arms.

"Why are you at home?" she asked me again. Probably because nearly every Saturday night since summer, since my rebirth, I've been staying every weekend.

"Because...I am not the old Ava Makee. This Ava Makee wishes to stay with her parents forever."

They look at each other in concern, "Forever?" they said in unison.

I nodded, "Together forever. The three of us." I circled my forefinger in the air.

Mom smacked me with her purse, "Go get dressed! You're going out with your parents tonight to meet some stranger who will be your friend so you won't stay here forever."

"Mom!" I groaned, planting my face into the couch.

"Oh, no. Not this." She pulls me off the couch, "I got enough of the couch potato act from your brother. I don't need it from you. Now, go." She pushes me towards my bedroom.

So, on Saturday night, I'm forced to attend a party with my parents. It wasn't really a party, more like a gathering of adults with no life who chit chat about their kids and the finger food.

I exhaled, puncturing the pie with my fork. Fuck this. I shove a whole piece into my mouth, pushing myself further into the couch in the room's corner. After a few more bites, I began licking the plate because no one seems to notice my existence.

"There's more pie over there." I stop my plate licking and look up to see Eli's older brother, Logan.

Steadily, I lowered the plate and ran my finger across my lip before sitting up straighter. "It's a good pie," I said, never expecting to know someone at the party.

"Mind if I take a seat?" He pointed at the space beside me.

"Sure."

In his casual long black jeans and t-shirt covered by a leather jacket, an outfit I do not imagine a doctor to wear. He looks at me. "You have something to say, Ava?"

"Why are you here?" I asked.

He smiles, "The real question is, why are you here? A teenager at a party for boring adults?"

"My parents think I'm becoming a hermit crab, so they dragged me here. Probably afraid I'll take over my brother's place and live in their basement."

"Oh yeah, Trevon, right?" I nodded. "I heard he got a date with a nice girl. Good for him."