XXVI. Daddy's Special Friend

Ava's POV:

"Ava! Can you buy milk? We're out!" Mom screamed.

I stare at my laptop screen, fingers typing the essay with furious motions. I would say writing the same essay twice is easy, but it isn't. Mainly when you didn't do it the first time. "What about Trevon?"

She pops her head into the living room, "Trev is out with his friends."

I tilted my screen down and pouted, "He's lying. He's meeting a girl. You should punish him by making him buy milk...like right now."

She rolled her eyes, "Go." She threw the keys at me. I barely dodge it.

Strolling down the dairy aisle, I grab the carton of milk; before hearing a familiar voice, "Miles! Zach! Boys! Stop running!"

I turn my body to see two young boys sprinting towards me at full speed. Immediately, I whip my arms in the air to save the milk. Mr.Nocella circles me and grabs both boys, one per arm. "Got you! Thought you could run away from me, huh!"

"Well, I wasn't really running," I said, and Mr.Nocella looked up. He was squatting with his arms around my waist.

Miles and Zach giggled as Mr.Nocella's face turned red. "Miss Makee."

"How about I hold one of your boys and you hold the other one, so we don't have to be in this questionable position," I suggested.

"I'm so sorry." He quickly stood up, and in the process, headbutted me. We groaned, placing our hands against our bruising foreheads.

Immediately, Miles and Zach race down the store, escaping their father. "Ha! Ha! You can't catch us!" They blew him raspberries.

"Boys!" Mr.Nocella screamed, looking angrier than ever.

The small giggled escaped from my mouth as I dangled the milk against the tip of my fingers. "I'm assuming this is your first-time grocery shopping?"

He ran his fingers through his grimy hair. "Second." He looks at me, "How did you know?"

I stood there, eyes analyzing his physical features. He wasn't well-dressed and groomed like usual as if he was standing on top of the world. Instead, he stood there in his baggy grey sweatpants and a large white t-shirt that unfortunately hides the mouth-watering muscles beneath. I point at the cart full of sugar behind him. "Shopping for a party?"

He gave me a grim smile, "For...the week."

"Need some help?"

Mr.Nocella laughed lowly, "I believe allowing my student to help me grocery shopping is ina-" a loud bang was heard across the store.

Miles and Zach look at each other before pointing a finger at one another, "He did it."

"I got some time," I said, walking towards the cart and placing my milk in it. Mr.Nocella followed me, "Tell them, you're leaving," I said, and began moving the cart down the aisle.

He looks back, "Are you sure?"

"Go. Do it," I urge him.

He cleared his throat, "Boys! We're leaving!" He looks at me, then back towards the boys and back at me. "They aren't moving," he whispered.

I glanced back, but continued walking, "Stop looking at them."

"But-"

"Just walk!" I hissed lowly.

"Wait! Dad!" one of the boys yelled.

"Daddy! Don't leave us!"

Mr.Nocella smiled, a broad one before he straightened his back and continued walking. I bit the tip of my tongue to hold back the laughter. While we walked down the aisle, I threw things back as if I was the one grocery shopping for my house.