XXXVIII. Negative Consequences

Ava's POV:

Rushing towards Luke, I pull him off the stranger, but he could get one final kick on his stomach before we tumble towards the stairs. Daniel was huddling around his girlfriend and younger sister, protecting him from the crowd and possibly Luke.

When we were finally a reasonable distance away from the house, Daniel began comforting the girl who was grabbed earlier. She continued sobbing, saying how she wants to go home. How she doesn't want to party anymore. How she is done with the party life. How scared she was.

Negative consequences.

"What do you mean all the cars are gone?" I snapped at Daniel, who flinches slightly.

"We came here in three cars, and they're not here, so I think they left?" He offered me a sorry look.

I groaned, "Okay, my car is parked a bit further. I'll drive you all home. Just make sure not to puke inside the car," I said, and they all nodded furiously.

While we walked down the dark streets, which seemed extra dark compared to when I arrived, we could hear sirens' sound in the distance. "Shit. Hurry up," I ushered everyone to increase their speed.

Even when I'm clean, four others aren't fully sobered around me. Plus, there is also the thought that there may be drugs inside our systems. Daniel said none of them did it, but inhaling the scent itself can increase the body's toxicity.

When we reached the car, I shoved Luke in the back with the two other girls while Daniel sat in front. "If anyone wants to puke, tell me and I'll pull over," I said, quickly starting the engine. I need to get the hell out before the cops arrive.

At times like this, I wonder if this is how a mother with four disappointing children would feel. Maybe, just maybe, my inability to have children may not be so bad after all. If this is how my teenage kids will behave, I will die...of stress.

Sweats were beading down on me as we drove down the streets. When I saw a group of cops, I signal left and slowly turned into another street. I parked in front of a stranger's house, a method I used before, and turned off the engine. I look at the rearview mirror, seeing all the cars passing by.

"We're going to have to lay here until they dispersed," I said, turning around. "There are some water bottles in the back inside my gym bag. Drink it. Sober up."

I sat there, listening to them chug down the water.

"Oh shit," Daniel mumbled underneath his breath, and I can hear the door clicking open. Luke tumbled out and threw up on the side of the street. I groaned, listening to him puke out his guts again.

Daniel was beside him, patting his back, while I mentally apologized to the house in front of us.

"Thank you, Ava," I heard a girl say.

I wave a hand in the air, too tired to even respond.

"How did you even get into Luke's phone?" I flick the phone inside the cup holder.

He grabs the phone and turns it around. "Fingerprint," he said, putting it back down. "Your name popped up on the screen, so I called you."

I didn't respond to his comment.

After an hour and a half, also with an additional puking from Daniel's girlfriend, I began driving them home. I glance at the rearview mirror to see all three passengers sleeping.

"I can help you with Luke first," Daniel said.

I shook my head, "I'll be fine." I pulled the car over to Daniel's house.