XXI. Married Man

Ava's POV:

It seems that many new events continuously appear in this lifetime. Perhaps, it was meant to occur, but I was too self-absorbed to notice other lives, or it may be because my decision of not taking the role of the villain changes things.

Now, stepping back, I evaluate the changes.

One, Trevon and I reconciled. A relationship, I do not mind. I love my twin, and being with him again is one of the best changes.

Two, I'm friends with Trevon's friends. Again, this isn't bad because I enjoy hanging out with them. They're silly and funny.

Three, I developed an interest in my brother's best friend. This turn of events is quite complicated.

Four, Luke may or may not develop an interest in me. Again, complicated.

Five, Winnie is together with Ben, an event that did not occur in the past. Right now, Winnie should've recoiled with Landon. Why? Because I told her to do it. One thing about Winnie is that she follows whatever I say, and at that time, I didn't care whether or not she was with Landon.

Six, Mr.Nocella found out about his wife's affair. It doesn't matter when he found out about his wife's disloyalty; it's how and whom he found it out.

I know the truth of his wife's affairs was bothering him for a while now since he kept glancing at me during class like he wanted to say something. Most likely, he wanted to confront me but decided against it. Something must have happened today for him to do such a thing.

I swallow, feeling the sweats dripping down the back of my neck as he leans in closer. "Well, Miss Makee?" his hot breath scattered across my face, indicating he was much too close for comfort.

"What do you mean?" I decided to play innocent "Your wife is cheating on you?"

His eyes narrow momentarily before it calms down. "You don't know," he stumbles back. Steadily, he walked back towards the chair of his desk and sat down. I watched as he pressed his head against the palms of his hands. His shoulders slumped, and his eyes cast down in a mournful gaze.

I walk like my limbs don't belong to me, and each step is a negotiation rather than an order "Mr.Nocella" I spoke cautiously, and he looks upward.

He cleared his throat and stood up, brushing the hair lingering against his forehead back "I apologize, Miss Makee. I-I shouldn't have done that. Please, forget what happened and what I said earlier."

I place a hand on his shoulder, and he flinches slightly, perhaps by surprise or maybe discomfort. "Hey, are you okay?" I question, remembering how broken down he was when he found out about his wife's affairs. End meet an end, Mr.Nocella genuinely loves his wife and finding out early wouldn't stop the tears.

He nodded, stepping back to create a professional distance between us. "Yes, I'm okay," he lied. "I just need some time."

"Why don't you sit down," I said, pulling the chair towards him.

"R-Right. I'll sit," he followed my request and began staring off into space.

A discomfiting silence settled over us; uneasy tension thickens as I pull a chair towards him. His unsettled eyes glanced around and tried to avoid mine. I watched as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat, grasping his sweaty, nervous hands above his lap like he was a student in trouble.

"You can talk to me, you know," I said, feeling slightly responsible. I know I shouldn't; after all, I wasn't the one committing adulatory. Eventually, Mr.Nocella will find out, with or without my nudge.

However, I felt responsible or perhaps guilt — guilt forming from our possible future together. Mr.Nocella was always there for me, even during my lowest. Maybe, I can help him during his.