XXXV. Someone Nice

Ava's POV:

I knock against the wooden door.

Trevon blew his nose, "Give me a second." He rolls off his bunk bed. "I'm ow-" he fell onto the floor. "I'm out," he muffled onto the carpet.

I look at my parents, "He's beyond rescue," I said.

It's been two months since Mina left town.

A month before the start of summer.

Trevon cried, "Mina would've jumped and rescued me! She always does!"

He's referring to the time Mina rescued Trevon from Maeve's crazy, apparently now, ex-boyfriend.

He's also referring to the time Mina dived into the river and rescued him. I don't know when they went swimming, but he should've known better than to show off his lack of swimming skills.

There's also the time she broke his fall when he was climbing the tree.

And also, she rescued him from falling down the stairs when he was too focused on his games.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should've tried to convince Mr.Kenzie to allow Mina to stay.

Trevon's life is on the line.

My phone buzzes, and I look down to see a message from Mina.

Mina: I made my own lunch today.

She sends me a picture of her lunch and a smiley face.

Mina often sends me random messages about her day, such as a bird she happened to stumble on, a cat she saw on the way home from school, or food.

Never any new friends.

"Sweetheart." Mom exhale, "I know it hurts, but-"

"It doesn't!" Trevon muffled into the carpets loudly. "I'm over her! So, leave me alone!"

"If you're over her, you wouldn't be sleeping in your own wet tears."

"Those are my masturbation tissues!" I cannot believe he said that out loud.

My parents made a disgusted face and turned the other cheeks, pretending they didn't hear that.

I'll do the same.

"I guess Mina is doing well without us," I mumbled. Trevon lifted his head. "What a cute guy."

Immediately, he dashes across the room and nearly stumbles in his week-old pajamas. Mom had to force Trevon out of his old ones. He wore them to school. He stole my phone, and his brows furrow, "There isn't a gu-"

I grab the phone from his fingers, "Nice to know you're over her." I made my way downstairs and away from the smelly guy. With the amount of time he spends in his room, I'm not surprised if there's a bottle of pee somewhere.

Once we're inside the car, I decided to take the wheel.

A few days ago, Trevon drove again, and he made an illegal turn when he thought he saw Mina.

It turns out to be an old lady - Mina dressed like an elder.

Trevon exhales softly, "Do you think she found someone else?" His forehead pressed against the window glass. "Do you think he's handsome?" He turned his head, "Do you think she forgot about me?"

With the depressing pictures Mina had been sending me, I doubt she got over Trevon.

I didn't respond and allowed him to continue to ramble. No matter what I say, it won't enter his mind.