XLIX. Content

Ava's POV:

My brain feels like it's about to explode.

Trevon gasped, "No! Maeve and Mr.Nocella? I mean, the guy is probably lonely and all, but really?"

"I know!"

I smack Trevon's head. I wish Shelbie was here so I could hit hers too.

Trevon covered his head, "Why did you hit me?"

"Because you're thinking with the stupid part of your brain." I lifted the phone, "I was there," I said. "Maeve broke into Mr. Nocella's house. Nothing is going on between them."

Trevon blew a low whistle, "Glad I stayed away from crazy."

"Why were you at Mr. Nocella's house?" Shelbie asked.

"Because I'm babysitting his kids?"

"Oh...yeah." She chuckles, "I introduced you."

I moved the phone to the other side while Trevon talked to himself, trying to solve whatever mystery he came up with in his head. "Shelbie, are you okay?"

"Yeah."

"I mean, like really okay."

"I'm okay."

"You know, we can talk if-"

"I'm okay," Shelbie emphasizes. I can hear a small heartbreaking chuckle, "I'm pretty. I'm rich...or well-to-do... I'm Shelbie. I'm a cheerleader who is also an honor student. Yeah. Let that sink in."

"Colto-"

"Colton can suck it," she cuts me off.

"Shelbie. You know I'm on your side."

"I know," she replies, "I'm sorry for sounding bitchy, but I really am fine, Ava. And I'm not going to do anything stupid like getting my ass drunk or hop onto another guy."

I couldn't help but smile at her response. "My doors and messages are always open."

"Definitely will take that into consideration."

Some part of me wonders what would've happened if Shelbie and I talked more in high school. With her personality and rationalized brain, I possibly could've been a better person.

Or-

I could screw up her life more than I already did.

"Mind doing me a favor?" I ask.

"What is it?"

"I need you to correct whatever rumors are going around, Mr.Nocella."

"Uh, yeah, I can. But, if you don't mind me asking, is there something between you two?"

When I turned back, Trevon was staring at me with wide eyes. I almost forgot he was in the same room. "No," I responded. "I just don't want him to get fired over something like this, especially when he's already having a hard time."

"Okay."

"And make sure to slip in that Eli was there too."

How does it sound - Ava Makee, a student, caught Maeve Remington, another student, inside Jarrett Nocella, the newly divorced teacher's house.

No matter how you spin that story, it wouldn't end well.

But, the story changes with a fourth person - a male student - present.

There's no way Ava Makee is having an affair with Mr.Nocella, especially when her boyfriend is there. It makes no sense.

And there's no reason Ava and Eli would lie about Maeve breaking into Mr. Nocella's house. They don't even know her. What would they gain?