XLI. A Man Nonetheless

Ava's POV:

I hid my body behind the building, and steadily I tilted the upper half of my body forward. Mr.Nocella stood there, pressing his fingers against his wrinkled forehead as the woman, his wife, held onto his jacket.

She tugs on it, "Honey. Honey," she whimpered, pouring out more tears. "I'm so sorry. It was a moment of weakness."

I snorted, and when Mr.Nocella's eyes lurked towards me, I slammed my body back. Oh shit.

"A moment of weakness?" Mr.Nocella hissed, and I turned my head once more. "You had an affair, Lexi, for God knows how long."

"Once! Honey! It was just that one time," she lied without an ounce of guilt, and I rolled my eyes. All women are actors, but this woman deserves an Oscar.

I wonder how they would react if I jumped out and began applauding, screaming: "Fantastic! Fantastic! Oscar-worthy!"

"How long?" Mr.Nocella exhaled, "How long are you going to continue lying to me?"

I've never heard Mr.Nocella bickered with his wife before. This homewrecker jumped in when all hope was lost between them. I must say it's quite dramatic.

"Honey-"

Mr.Nocella tugged her hands away, "Look. My mom arrived yesterday-" that explains the woman earlier, "and she will be taking care of Miles and Zach. So, you can stop dropping by to ensure they are okay."

Smart, using your own children to guilt your husband in coming back to you.

"But, I'm their mother. I gave birth to them. You can't do that."

Mr.Nocella rests his hands against his waist and looks upward, eyes meeting mine. Oh shit, he knows I'm here.

I smiled—definitely the time to smile, Ava.

He licks his lip before turning his focus back to Lexi, ignoring my presence. "I know I can't take them away from you, but I need some time, Lexi. I-I can't be around you, not after what you had done."

"Time? So, all you need is time?"

He closed his eyes and nodded. Jarret, I'm disappointed.

"Take all the time you need, baby." She forced a smile, "When you're ready. I'll be at my Aunt Jaunt. I'll be waiting."

He exhaled and nodded; before she walked away. A few minutes later, when the footstep finally faded, Mr.Nocella said: "Miss Makee, were you entertained?"

One foot after another, I step out. "It was like watching a Spanish soap opera except with less attractive people," I remarked.

A brief chuckle exit, "Less attractive?"

"What can I say?" I attempted to mellow out the tension. "Money makes people more attractive."

"If finances were an important aspect of my life, I wouldn't be in education."

"I didn't mean to eavesdrop." I pucker my lip and clasp my hands together. "I was trying to find you...and someone told me you went this way," I said, feeling the tension at ease.

Mr.Nocella folded his arms and stepped forward. "Seems like you always catch me in a perpetuating situation."

I smile grimly, "Can't control coincidence."

"How long have you been standing there?"

I scratch my head, not knowing what to do next. "Only for a few minutes," I said, hearing the voices echoing from the festival not too far from us. "Are you going to take her back?" the question that was on the tip of my tongue slipped.