LXVI. Palmistry

There are sounds of footsteps.

I tilt my head to see Logan at the end of the hallway, dressed in a white coat. "Ava!" He sped up, "How's Eli? Is he okay?"

When I didn't respond, Logan blocked a nurse, "How's Eli?"

"Don't worry Dr.Wood, he's okay." She looked at me before her attention went back to him, "We'll talk later." The nurse smiled at him before she went to her next destination.

Logan slumped down beside me and exhaled, "He's okay. That's good." He looked at me, "My parents are on the way."

My fingers dug into my pants, and I finally got the opportunity to look around the hallway. There was a random wheelchair at one end, and across from it was a painting. Diagonal from the landscape painting was the receptionist. The walls were painted a fairly nice color, but I didn't care much for it.

Who I care for is at the end of the hallway.

I grabbed my hands to stop them from shaking.

"Ava," Logan calls for me, "Are you okay?"

The last time I was in the hospital was with my mom. It wasn't for anything important, just the check-up I pressured her to get. We were never inside the long empty hallway.

The last time I was here was when mom died.

And now, I couldn't stop thinking, what if Eli died too?

I closed my eyes and pushed away the memories - his teary brown eyes that desperately tried to stay open. While they placed him on the stretcher, he never once let go of my hand. So, I was forced to follow him.

Out of the school and into the ambulance.

Despite the nearest hospital being less than thirty minutes away from school, the ride felt like hours, and waiting in the hallway felt like forever.

Half an hour later, Eli's parents came, and then, my parents. After that, our friends came. Once the doctor gave everyone the green light, they took turns visiting Eli.

I didn't.

My legs refused to move.

I watched as other legs came and went, and some stopped. They stopped and asked me how I was holding up or if I wanted to see Eli.

I didn't respond.

Instead, I dug my face into my palms and remembered what the doctor said before everyone came.

Stress.

Severe stressful situations can cause heart failure.

Eli had a heart failure because of me.

"Ava." Mom sat beside me. She grabbed my hand, "I'm not sure what's going on with you two, but he needs you in there."

I shake my head.

Mom exhales softly, "If it means anything, the doctor says they will give him some heavy medications and he'll be asleep for a while. Visit him and go home. Okay?" Mom kisses my head.

Dad kissed the top of my head and together they left the hallway.

Finally, when nearly everyone was done and so was the sun, I gathered enough courage to make my way into the recovery room. The door opened, and inside was Mrs.Wood with red eyes beside the bed.

And in the bed was Eli, with wires around his body. His eyes were closed and unlike earlier, there was a peaceful look on his pale face.

Mrs.Wood looked at me and smiled, "I'll give you some space." She gathered her stuff and left the room.