XLVII. Mending Heart

Ava's POV:

"What is it?" I asked him, placing the goldfish he won for me underneath my armpit.

"So, I'm not hanging out with Mar, but I'm hanging out with you. So, what does that make us?" he spoke in a teasing voice.

"Friends who hang out."

He smirks, tugging both brows.

"Wipe that smirk off your face and go buy me more cotton candy," I commanded, feeling my ears burning harder.

He salutes me, "Yes ma'am," he said, walking back towards the cotton candy van.

Leaning against a pole, I waited for Eli. I place the blobfish in front of my face.

"That's ugly." I removed it to see Seth and Mina.

"Seth...Be nice."

"What? It's ugly!"

Mina shrugged slightly, "Kind of. Yeah."

"What brings you two here?" I asked, placing the blobfish to my side.

Seth hung an arm over Mina's shoulder. She shoves her hands into her jacket. "Just walking around," she said. She sneezed.

"Want some hot chocolate?" Seth asked her, and she nodded. He looked at me and pointed a finger. I shook my head. Mina and I stood there as Seth jogged towards the concession stand.

"So, you and Seth?" I asked.

Mina laughed, "Oh, no. Seth is just an old friend."

I tug a brow, motioning my body back and forth, "An old friend?" I question her response. "Doesn't look like it."

"He doesn't see me like that."

"I wonder," I mumbled underneath my breath.

"He probably feels bad for me because I barely have anyone to talk to." She crossed her arms, stuffing her chin into her jacket. "Why? Does it look-"

"Yeah. It looks like he likes you."

Mina frowned.

"You don't feel the same way?"

She shook her head, "He's like my big brother. I...I never thought of him that way."

"Maybe it's time?" I threw out the idea. The future is changing enough already, so fuck it.

Maybe, just maybe, if they get together. They can get distracted with each other and leave me the fuck alone.

Plus, there's also the thought of Trevon. Yes, I still haven't forgotten that uncomfortable meeting...for me.

She shook her head once more. "I can't." Her cheeks turn slightly red, "I...I like someone else."

"Luke?"

Please, tell me it's Luke you still like.

The uncomfortable sensation in my stomach rose. I really need to get my stomach check.

She pouted, "I don't like him anymore. I'm done with self-centered so-called popular guys like him." Damn. "You know the phrase. The grass is greener on the other side?"

I nodded, "Yeah."

"Well, I went to the other side, and I must say-"

"It's filled with shit?" I finished her sentence. We stood there in temporary silence between a burst of laughter erupted.

"That's right. So much shit. I mean, who does that? Make a bet with their friends about a girl's heart?" she said. I nodded in agreement. It is stupid. Then again, teenagers are filled with nothing but stupidity. "And only a stupid person would forgive someone who does that."