XX. Settling Affairs

Ava's POV:

Kissing Elijah Wood was something that never crosses my mind.

However, here were are, with me sitting on the front bench of my house and him standing in front of me. Then there is also the fact that our lips are touching.

I was too shocked to even respond.

He back away, and I can feel the hot wind brushing past my mouth, the place where Eli had his lip.

Blushing was not a problem; what we did was go as red like the sun - or yellow...orange. I'm too unstable to think correctly right now. I'm rarely someone who would blush; this hard that is. Perhaps, it's because he caught me in an unexpected state. That's the only logical explanation.

No, I can think of something else. I may have caught an interest in Elijah Wood.

"Ummm I-I should go help your bro- okay goodbye," he said and quickly walked into the house. A slam caught my attention and smacked me back into reality. I turn my head to see Eli grasping his forehead. "The door was closed," he said, with a grim smile. Steadily, Eli turns his head and closes his eyes. "Stupid. Stupid," he whispered under his breath and opened the door.

I continue sitting there, my gaze dropping on the bag of chips in front of me. Exhaling a deep breath, I dipped my hand into it and grabbed a single chip. Placing it into my mouth, I can feel the single product shattering into a thousand pieces.

It tastes good.

The next morning, I got ready for school, and to make my morning much more comfortable, Eli slept over. Strapping on my backpack, I was determined to set a line regarding our relationship, which is friendship.

Stepping out of my bedroom, I came face to face with Elijah. I wanted to talk to him about what happened yesterday, but I didn't expect it to happen this early.

He smiles like usual, "Good morning."

"Morning," I mumbled.

"Why are two standing there. Let's grab breakfast," Trevon said, straddling downstairs.

I took a step, and at that moment, Eli decided to do the same thing. We both stop and resume our actions. Stop. Resume. Stop. Resume.

"Why don't you go first?" Eli offered.

"Y-Yeah," I responded, and quickly made my way downstairs. The beating inside my chest continues palpitating as I hear Eli heavy footsteps behind me. It felt as if he was breathing right on my neck. I know its all an illusion, something made up inside my mind, but it feels sweltering.

Settling myself down at my usual spot, I continue to eat to distract myself from the guy sitting across the table. I look up to see him playing monster pancakes with Trevon.

"Please, don't kill me. Gyaaaah." His voice pitched as he drowns his pancakes with syrups.

"Master! Master! Forgive me." Trevon played along, "Gyaaaah! Oh, the horror!"

They burst out laughing.

I stop eating while dad shook his head, "Boys. Do you have to behave like that, this early in the morning?"

"Sorry, Mr.Makee," Eli ate his eggs.

"Sorry, dad."

After breakfast, I washed the dishes.

"Need help?" Eli asked. He grabbed the dishes before I can respond.

I tuck my lip over my teeth, focusing on the washing and rinsing of dishes before handing it to Eli.