XXXIX. Misery

Ava's POV:

Getting caught in the middle of a fight is something I'm used to.

Getting caught, but not being the one starting the fight is something I'm not used to.

Get caught and spending a few hours in jail is definitely something I'm not used to.

It never occurs to me that one day I have to punch a guy in the jawline...to rescue another guy.

I never wanted to play the hero.

I never wanted to play any role.

If anything, I want to play the bystander. But, I've always wondered how a bystander can just...stand by. Then again, their names are bystanders for a reason.

It all started normal.

Similar to every other day.

The brutal hand entanglement with Luke and Mina ends today, after the Fall Festival. I was (sort of) nicer to Mina, and she isn't that bad. I can't say the same about Luke. Despite my rescue from his horrific habits, nothing else changed between us. However, these days, he is quieter.

"Are you two ready for the Fall Festival?" Mom chirped, applying on her red lipsticks. Mom, similar to me, loves wearing dark color lipsticks when the leaves start changing.

With dull sarcastic voices, Trevon and I said: "Yaaaay."

"I can tell you two are ecstatic." Mom slams the hand mirror shut.

"The Fall Festival is fun to attend, but horrible to plan. I've been running errands for the stupid booth till my hands bleed!" Trevon whined, putting his perfectly functioning hands in the air. "Why did you two forced me to do it?" He stomps his leg like a five years old.

"Hey! Your sister did it. She isn't complaining." Dad threw an arm up.

"She got picked, not me!" He pouted and glared at me, "I remember what you did," he hissed slowly.

I shrugged but didn't respond. Trevon pulled out his phone and grinned before responding. With that smile, I knew exactly who it was.

When we arrived, dad dropped us off before circling to find a parking spot. "I can't wait to visit your booths!" Mom snaps a photo of us.

We were both in dorky orange Halloween shirts. "Yaaaay," we said it at the same time again before robotically waving them goodbye.

We began walking towards our booths. The leaves spiral from the branches beneath our shoes. I push my hair back, feeling the cold breeze on my cheeks. I glanced over at Trevon, who was on his phone. "Are you still texting that girl?"

He tucks his phone away, "I don't believe that is any of your business."

"I heard she has a boyfriend." The one who will go to prison a few years in the future.

He stops walking and folds his arms. "Have you been investigating my friends?"

"I can't help being Ava Makee. The girl that everyone goes to when they want to gossip." But, yes, I did investigate her.

Trevon exhales through his nostril and resumes his walk towards the crowd. "Maeve and I are just friends. Nothing less. Nothing more."

I threw on the jacket wrap around my waist when I realized it's colder than I anticipated. "You've been talking to her a lot for being just friends."

He shrugs, shoving his hands into his pockets. "She needs some help on her studies, and her boyfriend is an absolute douche."

"So, just friends?"