LIX. You're Still a Child

Ava's POV:

He sighed as he listened to the other side, "Stop crying." He pressed his fingers against the bridge of his nose as his face dropped downward. Mr.Nocella had always been weak when it came to women's tears.

"Look-" he exhaled, "Maybe we can arrange something" Oh, no. He is going weak. This is the part where Mr.Nocella will fall back into her arms.

He licks his lip, "Maybe we can talk this-" He stops talking once his eyes meet him. I didn't bother hiding earlier. I can simply tell him I was passing by, but I knew that excuse wasn't believable because I was supposed to be heading for the gym.

The crying on the other side brought him back, "Look. I got to go," More loud cries on the other side, and he exhaled deeply. "Yes. We can talk about this tonight, but I don't want you back in the house." He glanced at me, "Just not now."

The cries stopped, and I can hear a joyous tone on the other side, "Bye," he said, ending his phone call and slipping it inside his pocket.

"Miss Makee, aren't you supposed to be in the gymnasium for the prep rally."

I cross my arms, "I could say the same about you, Mr.Nocella."

His eyes narrowed as he paced forward, "Do you have something to say?" His tone was lower, quite lethal.

There are two reasons why he is angry with me. One, I listen in on a private conversation. Two, he knows my judgment towards his relations with his wife. Right now, he is daring me to speak the truth.

"I got a lot to say, but I don't believe it's anything you would want to hear."

Mr.Nocella stepped in front of me. His massive body was shadowing mine as I planted a single foot on the spot while the other rests against the wall. I can hear the sudden ringing of beats inside my chest, and it took all my will-power not to swallow as my eyes cast on his lip. "I suggest you leave before you're late."

My eyes moved back up towards his eyes, noticing how close we were. I clawed my nails into my forearms, "Funny because I could also say the same thing to you."

Even in the past, Mr.Nocella and I aren't perfect. There are times when we began bickering. Times when we cross the line of being much more than fuck buddies. However, we would always try our best to touch each other's personal lives too much, knowing it's quite sensitive. I can't say the same about this lifetime.

He took a small step, but my body didn't move. I can feel my chest glazing against his with everything simultaneous inhalation. "My family matters do not concern you."

At that moment, I wanted to look away, but I couldn't. Mr.Nocella had always had this look in his eyes. That look that dares me to look somewhere else. If I do, I don't know what may happen to me. I may get eaten up, "She won't change, you know."

He rests a forearm against the wall and leans downward, "And how would you know that?"

"Because-" If I were to tell him the possible future, I know he would think I'm a lunatic, "woman intuition."

He chuckles slowly, "You're still a child. This is an adult problem." He messed up my hair and began walking away.

"Jarrett," his name slipped from my mouth. He stopped walking and turned around. I stood there, clenching my hands into tight fists. "I just don't want you to get hurt," I said quickly before making my way past him and towards the gymnasium.

"Miss Makee," Mr.Nocella called for me. With hesitation, I turn around. He swallowed, pressing his fingers against his palms, "Why are you so concerned with my affairs?"

That question blew me away since I didn't have an answer to it. Of course, it wouldn't seem reasonable for a student to probe this much into a teacher's personal life.

I swallowed, attempting to find a logical reason for my nosy actions. I wait for Mr.Nocella to say something, anything to get me out of this predicament.

With the blast of a horn, I turned my shoes and ran down the hallway feeling his eyes pinned on my back. Oh shit.

"Are you ready?" Mary squealed, rubbing her pom-poms on my face. I would often stay quiet when everyone began gossiping.

My mind was still drifting off to Mr.Nocella. I wish I could do more, but I am already crossing the line of a student.

"I saw Mr.Nocella at the grocery store this weekend! Who knew he could cook!" I almost snorted at that statement. If they knew Mr.Nocella could only make spaghetti, mac n cheese, and sandwiches, they would want to laugh too.

"Well, I saw something much more interesting yesterday," Sarah said, eyeing me. I lean against the wall, hearing the wave of cheers. My eyes narrowed as she smirked.

"Are you ready for our girls!" The announcer screamed. Everyone shouted along.

I turned my feet and prepared to enter the stadium. Before I could move another inch, I felt an arm grasp my elbow, and I turned my head. Sarah went on her toes and whispered into my ear.

When entering the gymnasium, my mind was blanked as my eyes continued scanning around. The announcer hands me the mic, and I planted a fake smile, "Are you all ready?" I screamed, putting our school symbol into the air. Once the music started, I began moving. All smiles and pom-poms are what people think of when it comes to cheerleading. I guess it's not far from the truth since I am holding a pair of pom-poms, and I am smiling.

As I throw away those fluffballs and leap onto two levels of a human pyramid, everything changes. Right now, I am trusting them with my life. If they collapse, I take the most damage. If I collapse, I still take the most damage.

Right now, there are no mats to protect me from the wooden floor that seemed to be well-cleansed the night before. I don't understand why they choose now to clean it when they haven't in weeks.

Urg. Sometimes, I wish I still stick with ballet. Then again, I do like having toenails.

Maybe I should've join band. I've always been good with the triangle.

Or choir. My face is pretty enough to overlook the fact that I'm tone-deaf.

At the top of the pyramid, I could see everyone in front of me. My eyes land on the emerald eyes guy right across from me. How could I not notice it?

"I saw Mr.Nocella's wife and-"

I never knew the reason why in the past, but now I do. I never saw who is Mrs.Nocella's boss, but I was never interested enough to find out. Now, it all makes sense.

Luke's dad is the one having an affair with Mr.Nocella's wife.

Nocella's wife