XXXIII. The Short End of the Stick

Ava's POV:

It was much harder than I wanted; then I intended. If only he pretended, nothing happened. Then again, who am I to tell someone else to keep their emotions hidden.

The next morning was indeed a stale one, particularly for Eli and me. It was difficult to meet his eyes. I didn't want this to happen. I want Eli to continue being my friend. It was nice to have someone like him standing beside me.

But, as I sat there, sipping on the milk mixed with sugary cereal, there was a part of me that regretted talking to Eli. It's because of him that I knew what friendship felt.

I had Mary and Winnie, but it didn't feel the same.

It didn't feel warm.

With Eli, I felt like I could talk to him about anything. Even the weirdest subject such as peeing in the shower. Even though we only spent a few months together, it felt like we were close friends since childhood.

Even with the uncomfortable atmosphere, I felt jealous. Jealous of my twin brother who can easily joke with him about some space movie.

Times like this, I wish I was a male. Maybe then, I would have some chance to bond together with them over our barely existing chest hair.

I stood up, sliding the chair out. "I'm done," I said, walking straight for the kitchen sink.

Exhaling a deep breath, I turned on the sink water and began washing the bowl. A hand slid past my arm and placed two bowls in the sink. I turn my head to see Eli grinning at me. "Good morning, pretty lady," he said casually as if yesterday's event never occurred.

He stood behind me, "Need help?" he asked.

I shook my head.

The door burst open, and Eli pushed himself off of me.

"Ready to go?" Trevon asked us while zipping up his backpack.

"Almost," Eli replied as I continued washing the dishes.

Trevon grabbed his keys. "I'll start the car," he said, and we nodded in affirmation. Trevon left through the garage door, and I could hear the start of the engine.

Eli leans against the counter beside me. "Don't act like this around me," he said, while I place the bowls on the drying rack. Eli reaches for the faucet and turns off the water. "Don't treat me; I'm invisible again."

I look over towards him, seeing his deep brown eyes staring straight at me. "I don't like it, Ava."

I swallow, only to notice how dry my throat went. "Then, what should I do?"

He hummed, turning his body around as he rests his elbows against the counter. "Treat me like a friend, like someone that means something to you. Someone you can reach out to when you need support."

I exhale, turning my body to grab the towel. "Eli-" I said, unable to turn back. I began wiping the water from my hands. "Don't settle for the short end of the stick."

The door prop opens with Trevon's head poking in. "You guys coming?"

"Yeah-" Eli replied, "in a bit."

"I'm going to school with or without both of you. So, get your asses ready." He clapped, before popping his body back into the garage.

I can feel the warmth of his body behind me once more. He leans his head against my ear, deep heavy breath brushing against my reddened flesh. "I rather grab the short end of the stick than to hold nothing at all."

I firmly shut my eyes to hear the garage door closing again.

He shouldn't do this. He shouldn't settle; it makes things much more complicated than necessary, and that's the last thing I need - a strange development with my brother's best friend.