XIX. Right to Judge

Ava's POV:

"We haven't spoken recently, have we?" Dr.Cordova leans back and sips on his cup of tea.

With each passing session, my hours with Dr.Cordova had been decreasing.

He said it's a good thing.

Me? Well, I think otherwise. Everyday calmness would only build up more and more anxiety. I feel like I'm sitting at the edge of a cliff, waiting for the storm to arrive.

My fingernails tap against the warm cup, "Yeah."

"So, tell me. How are things?"

"Good."

He raises a brow, "Good? That's all I get after we spent nearly half a year together?"

I chuckled and sipped on the tea and settled it on the coaster. "Promise me you won't tell anyone."

Dr.Cordova smiles, "Yes. It's not like I signed a confidential agreement or anything."

Dr.Cordova and I had been getting comfortable around each other. Quite often, we would talk about our families and whatever revolves around our lives.

If my dad's insurance didn't pay for these sessions, I would've had a problem with casual talk with my therapist.

I chuckle, "Alright. Some things had happened."

"Oh?" He lays down his tea. "Spill the gossip beans."

My brows furrow, "Please tell me you're not trying to be hip again."

Dr.Cordova shrugs, "You know me." He straightens out his tanned cardigan, "I will always be keeping up with you youngsters and whatnot."

I exhale softly before my eyes flicker towards the window. It's been raining more and more with each day. More holidays are driving nearby, and soon it will be a new year.

"Quite rainy, ain't it?"

I nod silently, "Yeah."

"You're not too fond of the rain?"

I shook my head, "Not too fond."

"Why is that?"

The memories of the cold streets of Chicago re-emerges. It always does during these types of depressing days. I wonder if it's also raining in Chicago right now. "Because it makes me think of unpleasant things."

Dr.Cordova exhales softly, "Have you ever gone to the ocean?"

My eyes flicker towards him. "A few times."

"Me too." He crossed his legs and looked outside, "Not as much nowadays, but before I met my wife. I would always go to the ocean."

"Why?"

The edge of his lips tilts upward, "When I was younger, I liked to go out there alone and stare at the water."

The raindrops slam against the window and the only sound in the air is the tapping of heels from outside.

Dr.Cordova looks at me, "You're not going to ask me why?"

"Because it makes you feel insignificant," I said. My eyes went straight into his, "It makes your problems feel insignificant."

"No," he responds. "It reminds me that the world has so much to offer, so much more than the small bubble I'm living in."

With a few blinks, my mouth cracked into a smile, "I got a lot to learn, don't I?"

Dr.Cordova grabbed his cup, "Good thing you have insurance."

I raise my cup, "To insurance." We clatter our cups together.