XLII. Four Eyes Twig Arms Hippie Hair Mammoth

Ava's POV:

Winnie chews her gum as if it's the last piece of gum on Earth. Her eyes maneuver left and right before it met with someone. "What the fuck do you want?" She snapped towards the innocent fool.

He shook his head, "N-Nothing." He rushes down the hallway.

Winnie resumes her violent gum chewing. My eyes flicker towards Ben, who was chewing on his nails. He was staring at the bag of chips in Eli's hands. Steadily, Eli digs inside and grabs one, then with slow-motion, he moves it towards his mouth. When Eli opens his mouth, Ben did the same until Eli ate the chip. Ben whimpers whenever Eli consumes one.

"What's wrong with you two?" I ask.

They've been on edge for days. Even the smallest sound can cause them to flinch.

"What's wrong with us? What the fuck is wrong with you?" Generally, this attitude is not a problem until it becomes one.

Winnie has been making enemies left and right. Even her cheers had been off. Practice was so bad this morning; I had her doing laps so that everyone can have a peace of mind.

"We're going through some things." Ben rubs Winnie's back to calm her down. It would've looked better if he wasn't shaking on his own.

"What wrong? You're pregnant?" Eli asks. That's the dumbest question he could ever ask.

Winnie grabbed Eli's shirt and pinned him against the wall. "Did you just call me fat, you four eyes twig arms hippie hair mammoth."

Eli shook his head furiously, "No. No. It was just a joke!"

"Well, it's not!" Ben snapped. His eyes were glaring heavily at the chips on the ground. "You can't go around accusing people of something like that even as a joke! That's not right! You think it's a joke, but what if other people take it seriously, huh? Huh! Now, people are going to think a few months from now Winnie got an abortion or something, and now, you ruined my girlfriend's reputation! And you ruin good chips!" He gestures heavily at the crumbles on the ground. "I hope you're happy with yourself." He grabbed Winnie's hand, and they traveled down the hallway.

We watch as the couple grumbled complaints about Eli's joke while resuming their intense action of gum chewing and nail-biting.

"What's wrong with them?" Eli shook his body. "What got them so on edge lately."

"I don't know, but I suggest you not make another fat joke."

"That wasn't a fat joke."

"Then, what joke is it?"

"It was a joke joke."

I walk away.

"Have a sense of humor, baby!" Eli rushes after me, then swings his arm around my shoulders. "What do you wanna do this weekend? You know, after working." Eli puffed my chest, "I'm in a relationship with a responsible lady." He grinned widely. "Feels good."

"Too bad I'm not in a relationship with a responsible man."

"I am responsible."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I take full responsibility for whatever that may happen in the future."

"A responsible man wouldn't have allowed that type of incident to happen to begin with."

Eli narrows his eyes, "I'll get a job."

"A responsible man would've gotten a job on his own, not when other people tell him to do it."

"There's no pleasing you, is there?"

I smile, "No. Not really."

Eli embraced me from behind then rested his chin on my shoulder. "I'll be a good man."