X. Nasty Habit

Ava's POV:

"W-What are you doing here?" I should be asking him that.

"I'm here to babysit," I said.

Without another word, scattering footsteps could be heard. Zach grabbed Mr.Nocella's shirt, "Dad! Miles is not listening," he snitches. "He is still playing the game."

"Miles!" I flinched at the tone of his voice. He sounds like he's at his last straw. "For the last time, put down the controller, or I'll take it!" Despite spending some time with Mr.Nocella, I've never heard his aggressive parenting voice before. It's always been loving and nurturing as if he will give the whole world to them.

Zach turns his head towards me before his eyes widen. He squeals while stomping in place. "Ava!" He remembers me. Instantly, he leaps onto my leg, "It's me! Zach! Zach! Zach! Do you remember me?"

I squat down, "Of course I remember you. How can I forget such a handsome face?" I tugged his plump cheek. He lost a front tooth.

"Ava?" Miles shouted from inside the house. I can hear footsteps getting louder and louder. Miles shoved Mr.Nocella away and embraced me. "Ava! I'm Miles! Miles! Miles!" It almost sounds like he's mocking his brother. "Do you remember this handsome face?"

I chuckle, "Of course I do!"

Miles released me and straightened his back, "Why haven't you come and see us?" I can't believe they remember me even though we met only once. He pouts, "I was sad."

"I was sadder!" Zach interjected.

"I'm so sorry, boys. I was busy with school, but I'm here now!"

Zach gasps, "Are you our new babysitter?"

Instantly, Mr.Nocella and I exchange looks. A calming weekend somehow turned into a disaster.

Miles and Zach each grabbed a hand and pushed Mr.Nocella away.

"I'll show you my room!" Zach screamed.

"No! No! See my room first!" Miles responded.

Zach puffed his cheeks, "You have cleaning to do!"

Miles looks up with his enlarged eyes, "I can clean really well. Do you want to see me clean?" He tugged me away from the hallway and into a new room.

Horrific would be an understatement. The living room was a mess. There were bags in every corner stuffed with questionable things and an even more questionable scent. I held my breath.

Miles smiled and stuffed the trash into a black bag, "Look at me, Ava! I'm cleaning!"

Mr.Nocella gave him a look. This look that says: Are you kidding me?

I clap, "Good job, Miles!"

"Me too! Me too!" Zach rushes toward the table full of fast food and shoves it all into a large bag underneath the table. I'm not surprised if there is a body inside one of those bags. "Ava! Praise me too! Praise me too!"

I pat Zach's head, "Good job! I'm so proud of you tw-" I stopped talking when I stumbled onto the table. There's something questionable on my hand. Steadily, I lifted it to see a dark brown substance.

My eyes lurk towards Mr.Nocella, and the look on my face says it all. I would wash my hands in the kitchen sink, but there's no place for my hands.

"The bathroom. I'll show you the bathroom," Mr.Nocella sees my distress.

I followed him to the restroom. My eyes traveled around each corner to see clothes and more trash. This isn't a house; it's a circus. No. Calling it a circus is an insult to circuses.