LVI. Out of Proportion

Ava's POV:

The sentence replayed in my mind over and over like a broken record.

After Seth's big announcement, he left me in my own thoughts.

Unwanted thoughts such as:

If they didn't sleep together, why lie?

Whose baby was Mina carrying?

Did Luke know the baby isn't his?

Was there a baby at all?

Was it me?

Was Luke finding a reason to divorce me?

But, why divorce me after twenty years?

Why didn't he do it before?

Was he using Mina to spite me?

I told myself to not think about it. It doesn't matter why they did what they did. None of it matters. Why? Because it never happened.

With the thoughts raging in my nightmares, it didn't take long for Spring break to roll around.

"It's the first day of Spring Break. Why the pout face pretty lady?" Eli returned to school for the last day before the official start of Spring Break.

Surprisingly, he didn't earn an earful from the teachers. They only told him they were glad to see him back. Then again, Eli is a fairly decent grade and behavior student - minus the public class skipping.

"Are you still upset that I didn't pick up your calls?" He asks. "I told you I wasn't feeling well."

"I understand."

"No." He circles until he is in front of me, "Don't be understanding. I'm in trouble! I'm a bad boy!"

Most days, I'm amused by Eli's behavior but the talk with Seth really puts me in a damp mood.

"You're not doing your sarcastic chuckle," he says. Eli held my face, "Something happened while I was gone?"

From the time I started interacting with Eli, I've noticed several things.

First, he's not-so-bad looking if he takes care of himself. But, he refuses to cut his hair.

Second, he acts like he's weak but he can hold his weight. Then again, I don't weigh that much - do I?

Third, Eli is a master at reading the atmosphere. He understands when and when not to intervene. When to step forward and when to back down.

The sound of motorcycles rushing into the streets and we turned our heads to see Seth racing toward his house. He parked the motorcycle and our eyes met. Seth nods lightly as a greeting gesture before he walks into the house.

I'm certain he's waiting for my desperate ass to go over there and beg him for more information.

My pride won't allow that.

No matter how many sleepless nights build up.

Lost in my thoughts, I stared at Seth's house for a bit too long for comfort and forgot the person in front of me.

"Hello?" Eli waves a hand in front of me, "Your boyfriend still exists."

I close my eyes to collect my thoughts for a few seconds. "Sorry. I zone out."

Eli chuckles, "And here I thought you were thinking about Seth."

"Well, he did fly past us."

Eli played with his thumbs before he asked a question which dampens both of our moods. Not like it wasn't already dampened before. "You guys hung out?"