LVIII. The Sky is Nice

Ava's POV:

When morning arrived, the investigation followed.

"Do you swear to tell the truth and nothing, but the truth?" Trevon stated in a severe tone, as his hands crunched against the car wheel.

"For the last time," my voice raised even higher, "Seth is lying. He asked me to be his fake girlfriend for one damn dinner, and I agreed. I didn't know you and Mina were going to be there."

He rushed his hands all over his hair, "But, it doesn't make sense!"

"What doesn't make sense?"

"Why did you agree?" My mouth clamp shut. I didn't want to tell him that Seth was blackmailing me. He closes the distance between us. "Why did you agree? I know my twin, and she would never do favors for others...for free."

"Maybe I'm kindhearted now." Bullshitty shit shit Ava Makee. The day you turn kindhearted is when humanity decides to stop lying to themselves.

"Oh, bullshit."

"Can you start the car?" I whined. "I need to get together with the school committee for the dang after school rally." My body wiggled around, praying he would drop the subject.

Trevon backed away and started the car. "We are not finished," he hissed slowly, sounding more and more like our dad each day. He put the car in reverse and hit the trash can.

"My trash can!" Mom shouted, throwing the basket of laundry down.

Trevon rolled down the window, "My bad!"

She glared at him, "Trevon! Get out of the car and go upstairs to your piggy bank! You're paying for my trash can."

Trevon glared at me, and I backed away. "See what you did! If you didn't fake date Seth, I wouldn't have run over the trash can!" He turned off the engine and slammed the door.

I exhaled dramatically, pressing my fingers against my temples. Glancing upward, I jolted back, seeing mom resting her face against the edge of the door. "So, what were you two arguing about?" she batted her lashes.

"Nothing," I sang.

She smiled, "I'm so happy."

I copied her facial expression, "Why?" My mom is insane. It seems to run in the family, though.

"I love it when you two fight." She is the only mom who will ever say that. "It means you two are getting close."

"It does?"

She nodded, "When you two started high school, I hardly see you guys spoke a single word to each other. It was always hmm or uhh. Mommy is happy to see her babies bickering." She pinched my cheek, "Continue spatting over whatever it is," she cooed.

It's official; mom lost it.

My eyes skewed towards the house in front of us. When I got home yesterday, I was in a much better mood, and it's not because I used nearly all of Seth's gas by running his motorcycle around town. Lies. It was exactly that.

It felt good not to drive in traffic.

After I finished with his bike, I dropped it off in front of his house and walked towards mine. Yes, I am that generous. He should be grateful I didn't throw it in a dump.

This morning when I looked out the window, his motorcycle was gone. The only explanation is that he used it to go to work. I'm impressed by how stealth his family is; I hardly ever see them.

The school went on as usual, except for the death glare from Seth. Mina walks towards me hand in hand, still weird, with Trevon. "Don't worry. I talked to Auntie Whitney and Uncle Dario about what happened yesterday. Seth got an earful from all three of us," she said.