XLIX. Artificial Sweeteners

Ava's POV:

I stood up and walked away as Landon's parents passed by me.

Now, the only thing I can do is hope that my words sink into his mind.

Landon may not be my favorite person, but I prefer him not to ruin any more lives, particularly those who love him. I may not miss him if he ever ends up behind bars, but someone innocent will.

I watch as Landon's parents worry over their son. They immediately turn and bow their heads low, apologizing to the officers about their son's behavior. No doubt, my house will receive a phone call this week and a basket of apology. Landon's parents are good people; they don't deserve the tears in the future.

The day after Landon's 18th birthday, he got arrested for supplying alcohol and drugs to minors...his friends. Idiot.

The moment I stepped into the hallway, mom grabbed my ear and twisted it hard. I swayed to the side, "Mom!" I screamed, attempting to lower the pain by holding my ear.

"You should be grateful, Ava Makee. That your dad isn't home, and it was me who picked up." She removes her fingers. Immediately, she cried and hugged me, "Oh, my baby! I thought something happened to you."

I pat her back, "Don't you see? I'm out, safe and sound. With barely a single scratch."

"Because you're pretty," Eli grumbled, crossing his arms. His tongue ran across his lower cut lip, and he scowled.

"If I recall correctly." I twist my head towards him, granting Eli one of my infamous glares. "I was the one who kneed the guy beating you down."

He places two hands up in the air and backs away. "I won't tell a single soul what happened tonight."

I roll my eyes back toward my mom, "Where's Ben?"

Mom told me that the police officers inform her that Ben is currently in the hospital. With a broken shoulder and many witnesses, it was easily noted that Ben was the victim in this whole crisis.

Despite it being so late at night and with my mom desire me to rest; she allowed me to visit Ben. Once we were there, Ben was sitting on the bed with his wailing mother and lecturing father.

"I knew it!" His dad shouted. "I knew that girl was trouble the moment I met her! Pretty girls are nothing but trouble! Why do you think I married your mother?"

Ben's mom immediately smacks him across the head. "First, my baby is hurt, and now my own husband is kicking me while I'm down?" she screamed.

I saw a boy who remotely resembled Ben steadily cover his face with the Gameboy. Beside him were two older people. I concluded that the little boy was his younger brother, and the two older people were his grandparents.

"Sweetheart. You're not pretty. You're beautiful," he cooed her, rubbing her arm ever so slightly.

When Eli and I entered, Ben gave a quick introduction before everyone left the room. Eli and Ben exchange some words. Ben said that he'd tell Trevon later. He doesn't want to bother him while he is sleeping at home. It seems that mom left in such a hurry that she forgot about her passed out boy upstairs.

I asked Eli for a cup of water so that I could spend some time alone. I can tell Eli noticed my intentions and left without a word of dispute. I sat down at the circular chair beside Ben's bed. "What happened?" Those two words were itching to unravel itself the whole night.

Ben exhaled, pinching his lip together firmly, "Everything is exactly what it looks like. Landon asked me to go out back and wanted me to break up with Winnie."