XVIII. She's Alright

Ava's POV:

Winnie let out a slow controlled breath and attempted to speak, but nothing came out. Her body trembles, and it's not because of the cold. "Y-Y-You...Y-You-"

The excuses are probably running through her mind, but it wouldn't leave.

Ben embraced Winnie.

She didn't push him away.

She released a deep breath, attempting to loosen her body. A muffled cry escaped, and she wrapped her arms around him. She accepted him and everything he had to offer.

Finally, he noticed my presence. I haven't moved from my seat, witnessing the whole event as if it was a Broadway show.

I smiled softly and walked away.

One by one, the future is changing, and I welcomed those changes. I predicted it might happen. And the more changes that occurred, the better. What foolishness.

"Hey."

I look up to see Trevon, "Hey." Why is he out here? Here and not with Mina. I smell trouble.

"What's up, bro?"

The soft went brushes by, "Mind if we walk a little?" I don't have a good feeling about this.

I push my hands further into the coat. "Sure." The more we walked, the more anxious I became. What did he want to talk about? At this critical moment, he should be with Mina - nurture their relationship.

Whether or not they'll bypass all trials that come with a relationship, it doesn't matter. What I'd like to see from the relationship is experience, how Trevon will learn from this relationship and carry it—enabling him to become stronger and never settle for anything less than what he deserves.

"Where's Mina?" I ask.

"Inside with Mary. They're with some other girls. Thought I should take a hike."

A small part of me wants to ask about Eli, but I held the curiosity back.

"Eli is with a few other guys from the comic club." Sometimes, having someone close to you can be a scary thing. Such as their ability to answer questions that weren't asked.

"We have a comic club?"

Trevon chuckled, "I thought you might ask that." He looks at me, "We may not be as popular of a club as everyone else, but yes, we do exist." The more I looked at Trevon, the more I realized how alike we are. With our similar eyes and cheekbones.

"That's interesting. Maybe I'll drop by sometimes."

"I prefer it if you don't."

I stop walking and look at him. I wanted to ask why. Why is it that he would push me away every time I try to get closer to him? I admit, I wasn't the best sister, but I'm trying now. Shouldn't what happens in the present be most important?

Don't dwell on the past.

Live in the present.

How naive.

Wounds don't heal immediately, and even if it does, the scar would always be there to remind you. Force you to remember what already happened. What can't be changed.

Trevon exhales softly, "Don't give me that look." He rushes his fingers through his hair, "I meant comic club is my haven. I don't mind spending time with you, but sometimes, I need space too. I mean, how would you feel if I suddenly joined cheerleading?"

I smile, feeling slightly relieved, "You wouldn't pass the auditions."

Trevon laughs alongside me. It feels good to spend time with my brother and laugh about irrelevant subjects. I miss it.