XXIV. Deep Breaths

Ava's POV:

"Ava!" Luke screamed, grasping my wrist.

I tug it back, "Look, Parker. I am not in the mood to deal with you right now."

"Look I'm s-"

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" I screamed, hearing my voice echoing in the empty hallway. "Is that the only thing you can say to me? I'm sorry? If you're truly sorry, Luke Parker, you would leave me alone," I said, fighting against the rebellious tears. "That's how I know you're really sorry."

That was the breaking point of my patience. At that moment, I was blinded by rage that tasted salty. I reached out. I went to punch him in the face causing him to stumble slightly. "This is your fault!" I screamed, hitting against his chest, relentlessly. "This is all your fault! Why won't you leave me alone?" My hair tumbles against my wet, reddened face, and I never felt crazier.

"Ava! I just want to apologize," Luke screamed frantically. "Ava! Calm down." He grabbed my wrists and pinned me against the lockers, but I continued kicking and screaming at him.

"Let me go! Let me go!" I bit his arm.

He grimaces slightly, but he didn't release me. I continued my struggles, not wanting to hear his voice. "I shouldn't have blamed you. I shoul-"

"Hey! She said to let her go!" Before I knew it, Luke stumbled off of me, and I came into view with Seth. "You okay?"

Great. Another one. Another face I do not want to see.

I bit my tongue to hold back from lashing out on him and instead nodded.

"What the fuck, man? She said to let her go!" Seth screamed at Luke.

Luke inhaled a shaky breath, "I just wanted to talk."

"And this is how you do it? You pinned her against the wall and forced her to listen to you when she clearly doesn't want to?"

I held my wrist, feeling the aching sensation; knowing a light bruise will make its appearance by tomorrow.

Luke glance at me, but I refuse to look at him, "Av-"

Seth covered me, "I suggest you leave."

"Ava, please, I just want to talk."

"You already hurt Mina, and now you want to hurt Ava too?" Seth's voice was filled with displeasure.

Luke clenched his jaw before he nodded and stepped back. His lip pressed into a straight line, and his face crinkled, "I understand. You're clearly not in the mood to talk to me right now." He walked away.

When Luke was out of view, I turned my shoes and made my way out of the school. Seth places a hand on my shoulder, and I leaped back. He puts his hands in the air, "I won't touch you again without your permission. I promise."

"Thank you," I said, before pacing towards the restroom to fix myself. My fingers quickly combed the tangled and scattered hair. I threw the water on my face, attempting to minimize the redness. My phone buzzes, and I look down to see a message from Trevon, wondering where I am. I told him I would be there soon. Placing my hands on the tiles, I allow the water to drip down my face.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

There you go, Ava. You're doing a good job.

Deep breaths.

Deep breaths.