XIX. Timberlake

Ava's POV:

The school head cheerleader and football captain is having a showdown-a must-see event.

I know I shouldn't give a rebuttal. It will only deliver problems - a knocking for trouble.

Living for so many years, I should be above this. I believe I was above this. These dramatic high school affairs, but here I am, bubbling with unfitted anger. Perhaps, I haven't indeed grown as much as I believe, or maybe it's because the guy in front of me is the button. My hazardous button and when it's pushed, I go insane.

I bit the tip of my tongue, tasting the blood as Luke stood his ground, waiting for me to respond. I don't understand him. In the past, if I didn't talk to him, he would treat me like air. Somehow, here he stands, confronting me regarding our non-existing friendship.

Friends?

Don't make me laugh.

I felt a tug behind me, and I look back to see Eli. "Don't. He's not worth it," he whispered, but I'm sure Luke heard it.

I lick my lip, feeling the boiling sensation sizzling down. "You're right," I told Eli, "He's not worth it." I walk away from the crowd.

Before I reach the benches to grab my stuff, I notice how Mary was standing in front of me with my gym bag. She smiles, extending her hand. I return the smile and grab it from her before saying, "Thank you."

"Mind giving me a ride home?" she asked with a hesitant chuckle.

"Me too!" Eli leap between us.

"I'm not the driver. You have to ask my brother," I said, seeing the scatter of people. I can see Luke standing there in the corner of my eyes, staring with an unreasonable face - sadness.

He doesn't deserve to look at me with that face.

"Let's go ask him," Mary said, pulling me away from the football field. I walk with them as they began discussing what they will do this upcoming while I fight the urge to look back.

After eating dinner, I settle myself on the bench in the front yard. Thrusting my legs upward, the metal clang against the wooden house, forming a low creak. Under the late summer sun, I can still feel the warmth. Steadily, I lift the lime popsicle between my lip and allow the cooling sensation to invade my taste buds. The musical beats plug into my ears, erase all the natural sounds around me.

My eyes lifted, seeing an old pair of shoes. I remove the popsicle as Eli wave dramatically at me. He walks towards me and pulls one plug, placing it in his ear, "What are we listening to?"

"What Goes Around...Comes Around."

"What a happy song."

I rest an elbow against the bench before plotting my cheek against it. "It showcase reality. Plus, Justin sang it. You can't change the song. It's like forbidden to pass Timberlake."

Eli shook his head, "No. No." He took the phone from my hand and scrolled through it. I nudge a brow as he taps against the screen. I suppressed my laughter when a new song came on.

Eli nodded in approval as his chest moved up. "Ah, yeah, ah, yeah

I got this feelin' inside my bones," he sang, biting his lower lip.

"Please, don't."

"Its Justin! You can not, not sing." He continued dancing by nudging his shoulder up and down.

"When were we this close?" I asked, in complete amusement.

"Since you decided to eat my popsicle."

My brows furrow, "I found this inside my fridge. How is it your popsicle?"