LII. Happier than Ever

Ava's POV:

"I can't believe I let you talk me into this."

Eli throws his hands up, "Unbelievable. I said one sentence."

I stop my track and threw my head around, "One persuasive sentence."

Eli weighs his hands around his waist, "You listen to me when I say one persuasive sentence, but when I beg you to do something. You always manage to find a way to say no."

"What can I say? Less is more."

Eli smirked, "Remember that next time I pull my pants down."

"What happened to...length?" I place my hands out to emphasize my required length.

Eli shrugged, "Can't catch a girl when you say-" he moves my hands closer together, "this is it."

I gave him a nasty look before I flicked his forehead. "Stop being an idiot and follow my lead."

"Oh! I can talk now?"

We stopped at the front door and I fix Eli's collar. "No. When you talk things only get worse."

"I heard your mom is making sundaes for dessert. Can I at least have your ice cream?"

I pat out the wrinkles on his shirt, "Consider yourself lucky you get to eat your own ice cream."

I grabbed my key and opened the front door. Immediately, sushi engulfs our senses. Recently, mom had been interested in Japanese food. We walked into the kitchen to see my parents cooking dinner. "Ava, can you set up the plates for dinner?" Mom asked.

Of course, no "Hi" or "How are you?"

"Alright." There's no point in arguing or whining. Set up the dining room and you're free to go.

"Eli," mom says, "Be a darling and take out the trash for me."

"Okay."

"What's going on in here?" Trevon asked.

"Your mom wants you to take out the trash while I help Ava set up the dining table." Eli handed Trevon the trash bag and grabbed a new one.

"Oh. Okay?" Trevon walked out of the house with the trash.

Mom and dad stared at Eli.

"Mission completion." He grabbed the new plates from me and walked to the dining room.

"That boy is going somewhere far in the future," mom says.

"Hopefully, out of this town."

"Dad," I say.

"What? You want to marry a guy who can't even take out the trash?" Dad question.

"Better than a guy who forgot to make rice."

"What?" Dad stared at mom.

Mom raises an eyebrow.

"You didn't ask me to cook rice."

Mom walked to the rice cooker and grabbed a small note. She hands it to dad, "Read it."

Dad stared at the note for a brief moment before he look at mom with a blank stare. "I swear, someone stuck that note there two minutes ago."

Mom allows all her weight to hang on one leg.

"If you guys need me, I'll be in the garage scooping rice." He walked to the garage.

The garage door closes, "I didn't see that note this morning."

"Of course, you didn't. I put that there like five minutes ago."