LIII. Happy Ending

Ava's POV:

Living with Winnie wasn't that bad.

"Winnie!"

At least, for me.

"What?" Winnie asks.

Trevon burst through the kitchen door with a hairbrush, "What the heck?"

"Huh?"

"You used my hairbrush!"

"It could be anyone."

"It's you!"

"And how do you know that?"

"Because it's not in my cup. I always leave my hairbrush in my cup after I finish using it. Always."

I remember, there was a point in my life when I wished for another sibling.

"Why would you say it's her?" I ask.

And I'm glad it never happened.

"Because you're too disgusted by me to use anything from me." Trevon turns back to Winnie, "She, on the other hand, is so much more disgusting than me."

"Oh, cry me a river."

Dad walks through the door.

"Dad!" Trevon screams.

"If it's about Winnie, I don't wanna hear it." Trevon had been complaining about anything and everything Winnie did all week.

"But-"

"Nope." Dad grabs the freshly brewed coffee.

"Winnie-"

"Go to school."

"She-"

"Go to school."

"But, I haven't even eaten breakfast!"

"My response stands."

In translation: I'm fed up with your behavior.

When dad left, Trevon gave Winnie one last nasty look and stomped upstairs.

"Geez," Winnie grumbles. "Lyah right. He is an entitled brat."

I exhaled and continued my breakfast. After we finished, it was time to go to school. Per usual, Trevon banned Winnie from sitting in the front. Which is stupid because how would she sit in the front when I'm already there?

When we reached school, everything was as per usual, the same.

I stare out the window and stare at the butterfly.

It's colorful.

It lands in front of me and crawls up.

Sometimes, I wonder what it's like to be a butterfly, but then I remember how kids like to pick them up, and then they're dead.

I hear a knock and look up to see Mr.Nocella walk past me. I release a breath, pick up my pencil, and finish the test in front of me.

B.

That's the grade I got on the test.

Once the tests were passed out, Mr.Nocella did what every other teacher did. He went to the front and lectured us about our current status.

The door opens and the principal's head pops in. I want to say he comes with good news, but the two policemen behind him say otherwise.

The moment Mr.Nocella steps out of the classroom, the whole room explodes with gossip.

Some say they came because of his ex-wife.

Others say it's because of his relationship with a student at school.