XXIII. An Honest Living

Ava's POV:

My chest felt warm, and I knew there was an unbeatable smile on my face. Once I parked in front of Ben's house, my head dropped on the headrest, and the smile only widened.

It's okay, right?

I covered my eyes with my arm.

It's okay to feel this happiness, right?

I shook off the tingles, "Focus, Ava! Focus! You're in high school! Think about your future, not a young boy who may or may not be playing with you."

I exhale lightly at the thought of Eli with Mary. Then, the thoughts appear. Is it possible that Eli wasn't a part of Trevon's future because he married someone else and moved? It's not unusual that high school friends separate after graduation.

What if the person he married was Mary?

My arms slump, and I exhale lightly, "You've changed a lot of things already, so one more doesn't make a difference. Does it?"

Then, the infiltrating emotions arrive.

If I decided to date Elijah Wood, would I be taking away someone else happiness?

Why are you concerned? The voice appeared. You screw Luke twice already. What would change if you screw over a stranger?

My head pressed against the car wheel, "You're selfish through and through, aren't you, Ava Makee."

A knock appeared on the glass. I lifted my head to see a layer of snow. Then, steadily, a green glove knocked against the glass again. I opened the door, and someone fell on the snow.

"Oh! Andy!" Instantly, I helped Ben's younger brother stand up.

Once he stops wobbling, he looks upward, and his chubby red cheeks spread, "Hiya Miss Ava!" He salutes me. "Welcome to the Larsons' neighborhood! How can we help you?"

I giggled, "Andy. Why are you out here alone?"

He pushed up his thick glasses and held up a rolled-up newspaper. "I got newspaper duty. I get five whole nickels if I can deliver it dry and-" He looks at the wet newspaper. "Well, I get two nickels if it's wet."

My heart melted when he announced his mission. I squat down, "Since it's my fault. How about I give you three nickels as an apology."

"No, thank you! Mom says, you have to be honest with your living. I cannot take money from you since it was an accident." The warmth inside my chest only escalates.

"But, two nickels is only ten cents." I feel horrible that he has to work till his nose gets red for ten cents. Of course, I know he's only getting the newspaper, but he looks cute doing it, particularly since he's bundled up like a ball.

"I know! Ten whole cents! Isn't that cool?"

With all the white snow, I felt like I died and went to Heaven.

"How about this? If you help me bring in something, I'll pay you."

"How much?"

"I have two pies so-"

"That would be two nickels!"

"Andy. Do your parents only pay you in nickels?" I ask.

"Don't be silly, Ava." I'm the silly one? "They give me pennies too! If I do a really good job. I get six pennies!"

"That's six cents." I want to make sure he understood the value of money.

"I know! Isn't that cool?!"