XXXVII. Romantic Bone

Ava's POV:

Least to say, Colton had a rude awakening.

I smile sweetly, "Instead of comforting a girl who wants to get away from you. Why don't you take a walk to your girlfriend."

Colton grips firmly onto Shelbie's coat.

I stood up and spread my fingers, "Hand it over."

Colton looked down and stared at the coat before he handed it over. I rested the coat behind me and sat down.

"It was...nice meeting you two," Colton grumbled before he left the restaurant. I have a good guess on how he feels.

"What did I miss?" Eli asks.

I explained the situation the whole time. Eli being Eli, he would gasp with every new twist. When I couldn't handle his gasp, I grabbed the fork and stuffed his mouth with pie, then resumed the story. Eli gobbled up the whole piece and listened intently.

"That's some drama." Eli nods, "Hanging out with you is fun. No wonder why people fight to be next to you."

I smile, "I'll take that as a compliment."

He ran his tongue across his lips.

"There's still some crumbs in the corner of your mouth."

Eli attempts to reach it with his tongue.

I grabbed a napkin and rubbed it off of him.

"Ow! Ow! That's not what you're supposed to do!"

"What?"

"You're supposed to gently dab my face with a napkin while we stare at each other ey-"

I rub the napkin all over his mouth to shut him up. I laughed when the skin around Eli's mouth turned red.

"You don't have a romantic bone in your body, do you?"

I smiled sweetly before I rested my chin against my palm. With each blink, Eli's face turns redder.

"W-W-Why are you looking at me like that?"

My smile only widens.

Eli clears his throat, and his eyes averted. He looks back, then flicks his sight away again.

"Why are you avoiding my eyes? I thought you wanted to stare romantically into each other's eyes," I teased. I place a finger on his chin and move his face towards me.

"You tease." He got up, "I'm going to go pay." I watch as Eli stumbles towards the front. I stuck a fry into my mouth and saw Eli drifting back. He trips onto the table.

"What happened?"

"The price." He clutches his chest, "Oh. My chest."

I swallow the fry, "Look around you. You should've seen this coming."

Eli wipes off the tears, "The things a guy would do for the girl he's courting."

"Courting?"

He nods, "To court, be involved with romantically, typically with the intention of marrying."

I choked on the fry, "What?"

He leans down and smiles, "Got ya."

I drop the rest of the fry, "Oh, haha."

"Ha," he sang.

I raised my hand, and a waiter arrived. "I would like another piece of the pie, please."

Eli's eyes widened before he shook his head. "No. No. No. We're done eating." He grabbed my wrist and dragged us out of the restaurant. Once we're outside, Eli wrapped the coat around me.