XLVI. Predestined

Ava's POV:

I feel lost and confused.

Sometimes, I feel happy, but other times I feel sad.

I am like a ball of tangled yarn. The parts that are untangled are available but not usable. The rest is a mess - useless. And the more you try to unravel me, the more frustrated the situation becomes.

I'm on my period.

I smacked Eli's hands away from the chocolate. He rubbed his hand and looked at me with pure shock, "You're mean at this time of the month."

My glare only deepens as I bite on another piece of chocolate.

"I brought it for you. Can't I at least have one?"

"Listen to yourself," I said. "You brought it for me."

He folded his arms and dropped his head on the couch. "You're mean!"

"You should break up with her," dad said from the other side of the couch. "She's only going to get meaner."

Since dad can't convince me to break up with Eli, he's trying to convince Eli to break up with me.

"Speaking of mean women, why are you still together with Mrs.Makee?" Eli has gotten too comfortable in my family. I know he's Trevon's childhood friend - not mine because I don't remember - but there are still boundaries.

"Because he's too scared to divorce me," mom replied. She's on the kitchen counter with her cell phone.

"And she gets the whole house," dad included. He gave Eli a stern look, "See how troublesome women are? You stay with them. They will only hit your hand whenever you want their food. You divorce them? They take half of your pension and the whole house."

I have a feeling of how this short talk will end.

"So, you shouldn't ever be with a woman."

"Mr.Makee," Eli said. "Are you indirectly telling me to play for the other field?"

"Whatever keeps you away from my daughter Elijah."

Eli hugged me, "But I like your daughter a lot." He grinned, "I like her so much. I don't care if she takes my whole pension and the house."

Dad looked at me, "Who told you to grow up so pretty?"

"Mom did," I replied.

Mom exhaled softly, "I can't help it. It's in my genetics to have gorgeous children."

"If it helps, I don't find Trevon attractive at all," Eli said.

"Thank God." Trevon walked into the kitchen. His eyes were still on the phone. His thumbs were at war with the glass surface. Anyone would've thought he was in the middle of a game, but I noticed how he doesnt have his earphones on.

"Who are you texting?" I asked.

Trevon's hand halted at the front of the fridge. He looked at me, "No one." He opened the refrigerator and pulled out the orange juice.

I glanced at Eli.

Without a single word, he leaped over the couch and grabbed the phone from Trevon.

"Dude!"

Eli put a hand between them before he rolled on the couch. I couldn't control myself, so I inched my face close to his phone. "Mina?"

We all looked at Trevon, who snatched the phone from Eli's hands. "It's nothing," he said.

Mom took off her glasses, "Aren't you dating that Lyah girl?"

"I-I-I am-ish." He glared at Eli, "Not cool."