VIII. One Time Accident

Ava's POV:

Eli always manages to come up with the weirdest catchphrases. It's so funny that it makes me speechless.

Thinking back now, all those nonsense things he said are distractions...nonsense.

The next day, Winnie and Ben left my house. Winnie, per usual, couldn't look at anyone in the eye. Meanwhile, Ben continuously thanked me for allowing them to stay the night. I felt like I harbored a runaway couple.

"So, what's the plan?" Question the guy who has no idea what's going on - Eli.

Ben shrugs, "We'll figure it out."

"I'll figure it out," Winnie rebuttal, still staring at the potted plants. It's obvious she's willing to accept Ben's support, but her hard headed wouldn't allow her to admit it.

Eli let out a whistle, "That's rough."

"Do you even know what's going on?" I ask.

"Do I know anything about pipes?" Eli question.

"You know nothing about pipes," Ben replied.

"Then, no. I do not know what's going on." How can he manage to sound so confident? Eli smiles, "But, whatever it is, I support you."

Ben smiles, "Thanks, dude." They gave each other a knuckle touch. "So, what's going on between you two?"

Winnie's eyes motion towards us. Of course, now she chooses to look at everyone.

"Nothing," I responded.

"Really?" Winnie's body shakes, "Because sleeping on the couch together looks like something." She would enter the conversation when it's not about her.

I look at Eli, "Want to take this one?"

Eli lifted two hands and shook his head, "All I got to say is-" his smiles only widen, "think whatever you want."

I punched his arm.

He rubs his arm, "Ow! What? Whatever we say won't change whatever it is their thinking, so why waste our breath?"

"You're enjoying this too much."

He leaned in towards me, his lips were near my ear, "Are you embarrassed that you were the one who ended up on my side of the couch?"

My face burst with heat. I covered his face with my hand and pushed him back. "Don't get cocky with me, Wood. It happened one time, and it will stay a one-time accident."

"Oh? Does that mean next time won't be an accident?" His voice vibrates against my hand.

"I'm leaving," Winnie said.

"Wait!" Ben screamed. "Eli is going to take us home."

I removed my hand, but Eli grabbed it. A mischievous smile appeared on his lips before he took my palm and lay a soft kiss on it. "Payment for taking up all the room on my side of the couch."

The temperature seemingly rises even in the cold morning, "It's my house. My couch." It is a childish response, but at the moment, my brain couldn't rack up other words.

The smile still manages to maintain itself on his tired face. He tangles our fingers before giving my hand another kiss, "See yah, pretty lady."

Eli's warmth drifted away from me, and I couldn't do anything to stop it. All I could do is stand there and watch as he disappeared further and further away from me.

My eyes squinted in an attempt to see past the fog, but it didn't work. The fog was too thick, and all that's left is his silhouette. Once the engine ignited, a bright light made its appearance.