LXI. I'll Catch You

Ava's POV:

"Mom, is it okay if I hang out with Luke for a little while?"

The remote in her hand dropped onto the couch. Immediately, she rushed up and scattered towards the kitchen door. Dad was inside cooking and humming the country radio song, "What did you ask me?" She whispered.

"To hang out with Lu-" she slaps her hand over my mouth.

"Are you crazy? Why would you ask me if you can hang out with a boy...this late at night...knowing your father is home! Do you want him to go out on a killing spree! You want that, don't you? You want your father to go to jail!"

I can hear dad singing in the kitchen, "And those eyes can hypnotize. Was designed to blow my mind." His voice was killing it.

Literally, it was killing our eardrums.

No one in the family has the heart to tell dad that he can't sing.

"Maybe, I'll be the one who will go on a murdering spree soon," mom mumbled, rolling her eyes at the kitchen door.

I remove her hand, "Mom. I'll be back before dad finishes dinner."

She exhaled, "I thought-"

"Things aren't like that between us...not anymore. He...He needs a friend. That's all."

"Sweetheart." Mom took my hand and led me to the couch. She tucks my hair back, "I don't want to see you get hurt again."

I held her hands, "I'll be back before dad finishes dinner." She stood there, shoulders slump as her lip curved downward. I don't want to lie to my mom and sneak out; I don't want to establish a distrusting relationship between us.

She huffed a breath through her nostrils, "Fine. I'll cover for you but be back within as soon as possible."

I smiled and placed a kiss on her cheek. "Thanks for trusting me, mom," I said, as she walks towards her purse and rummages through it.

She pulled out a set of keys, "Here." She places it in my palm, "Take my car. Your dad will hear the garage door open if you take your own."

I went into her for a hug, "I'm so lucky to have a mother like you."

She pinched my nose, "About time you see it."

Casually, I walk out the front door with mom giving me the okay sign indicating that dad didn't notice a single thing. I started the car and huffed a breath before driving towards Luke's house. Once I reach the destination, I slam my head against the headrest. "What are you doing?" I mumbled underneath my breath before grabbing the phone.

Makee: I'm here.

Parker: Give me a second.

I stepped out of the car that's park two houses down and began walking towards his house. Peeking past the bushes, my eyes narrowed as Luke smoothly leaped down the tree beside his window. I never understand why his parents thought it was a good idea to give a teenage boy a tree, so he can easily sneak out.

He rushes his hand through his hair, pushing it back, "You came," he smiled.

I nodded, "Yes, here I am." My shoes rock back and forth.

"Come on," he said, and we sneak towards the tree. Luke bends his knees and tangles his hands together.

I look at him, "Are you serious?"

"Come on. You've done it before." It wasn't a lie. I did sneak into Luke's bedroom numerous times. I exhaled and stepped on his hands. He grunted slightly before pushing his arms up, and I began climbing the tree. With each branch, I huffed a breath. It wasn't hard, but I prefer not to do this again in the future.