VII. Summer Popsicles

Ava's POV:

I smile, feeling the warm sensation in my chest, seeing mom's features glowing with bliss.

"Your loser father happened to get lucky and got me when I finally gather my shit together." It was rare to hear my mom - or my parents - said such a term. We laughed together, a moment I won't forget, but stopped when dad entered the sliding door.

Sweats were covering his white t-shirt, and he took off his cap, wiping his forearm across his forehead. "There are my favorite girls." He smelled like freshly cut grass. "What are you both talking about?" he asked, reaching for the whipped cream, but mom slapped his wrist. Dad frowned, rubbing his wrist.

Mom and I look at each other, "Nothing," we said at the same time, like two teenage girls keeping a secret from the outsider. Our bodies move closer to each other, and we started giggling.

Dad narrowed his eyes, strolling around the counter until he reached mom. "Oh, nothing, huh?" He closes his distance towards mom. "Should I tickle the information out of you!" he tickles her, and I couldn't help but stifle a laugh at my parents' affectionate actions.

The door pushed open, "Oh, gross," Trevon groan, bending his body back. "Can you guys not do that? Aren't you too old to flirt?" he shuttered.

"Oh, old? Who's old! I'm still young!" Dad declared. He puffs his chest and pounds on it like Tarzan before he dips mom. "Jane...Tarzan...mate."

Now, that was taking things way too far.

I leap off the counter, "Please, do-"

Dad lifts mom over his shoulder before I can finish my sentence. "We young couple mate. Do not disturb offsprings." Dad declared and rushed upstairs with a giggling lady.

"Ew!" Trevon and I screamed at the same time while our parents' laughter could be heard from upstairs. One of the things I will never miss is - the bed squeaks- that.

Trevon place two hands up, "I'm out. I cannot be in this-" he shuddered and ran out the front door.

"Wait! What about the cup-" the front door slammed.

I glance at the oven then the ceiling. When the bed squeak again, I rush towards the over and turn it off, "No cupcakes for anyone!" I screamed before running out the front door. Quickly. I ran back in, "Mom! I'm going to take a twenty!" It's hard being a teenager.

When she didn't respond, I took it as consent and dig into her purse. When I found a twenty, I grinned. "Snack money," I sang, skipping out of the house.

Reaching the convenience store, I stroll around and grab a handful of snacks. Once the cashier finished ringing me up, I took a seat on the sidewalk. Releasing a deep breath, I gaze around the nearly empty parking lot and sigh before opening the ice cream.

Today the sunshine drape into my skin, its heat radiating outwards, indicating that it's still summer despite our enrollment into the school. A cold item drops on top of my head, and I look up, eyes draping into honey.

"Hey, pretty lady," Eli said, settling himself beside me. He extends his legs, stretching it to the cement surface. The wrapper made a popping sound revealing a red popsicle.

I pull out the lime popsicle, smacking my lip together, "Hey there six inches."

He nearly chokes on his popsicle before a snickering sound made its appearance, "I wish."

"What?" I exaggerated a gasp, "A-Are you telling me you're falsely advertising?"

He quirks a brow, "And if I am?"

My lip curls upward, feeling a light sensation whenever I speak with Eli, "Then, Imma have to take you in."

Whenever I meet Eli, it's as if he glows, his aura so happy, particularly underneath the bright daylight. He stuck the popsicle into his mouth and held out his wrists, "Cuff me, Officer Makee."

I watch him lean forward against his bending knees. There's a bag resting beside him. "Desperate much, virgin?"

Before he responds, I can feel his knee tapping against mine, light touch but overwhelming. He pulls out the popsicle, "I may not be as cool as Ava Makee, but it doesn't mean I haven't hit houses."

I quirk a brow, "Do tell." Today, somehow, is filled with surprises.

The moist heat pressed in on us, even sweating offered no protection. It trickled down his neck towards his collarbone. He grins, "Us, nerds, also milk the cow like you cool kids."

I laugh, noticing our proximity is much closer than expected. I didn't think I would be so close to someone I barely held a conversation with not too long ago, "To be honest, I did not see that coming."

His tongue stuck out, and he bit it lightly, "Me hitting the hay?"

I close my eyes before opening it again to see him even closer. My cheeks glow red, and not because of heat, "The milk the cow analogy."

"Just so you know, this horse got a few moves." He gave me a cheeky smile that got my heart pounding.

His face was exactly in front of mine, the popsicle dripping down my fingers tip and land on the cement, allowing the ground to sizzle in blurriness, "And what exactly are you saying?"

He held up two fists and began naying, "Want to take this horse for a ride?"

I shook my head and pushed him, "Sorry, but I'm not into animals."

"Then why were you with Luke?" The atmosphere took a turn with the mention of Luke. With Eli's reaction, it's apparent that it was a slip-up.

"Are you disgusted?"

"What reason do I have to be disgusted?" He exhales slowly, "It's your body, you own it. You can do whatever you wished with it, and anyone who judges otherwise isn't worth your concern."

I ran my tongue across my cheek before giving him a side glance, unable to fight the smile. "You're getting way too comfortable, Wood." I elbow him, "Why haven't we talk before?"

He shrugs, "You're always gone when I'm over. So, I guess we don't have time to chit-chat about farm animals, housing market, and my non-existing six inches."

I laugh, a low chuckling one before sticking the popsicle back into my mouth, "How unfortunate. We could be terrific friends."

He smiles before sitting up straight and staring at the parking lot in front of us. The heat above us bounces off the streets, resulting in an illusion of wavering images, "Yeah, friends."

"