XXV. Merry-Go-Round

Ava's POV:

It was the last day of the summer fair, but the theme park was not packed. People were scattered everywhere, and the lines were short - just the way I like it.

"Big brother. I want cotton candy. Pink." I played the little sister card on Trevon despite being twins.

He gave me a lazy side glance, "The kind big brother store is close now. Please, come again within five years."

I pucker my lips, "And you call yourself a big brother."

"I didn't say anything when you stole money from my wallet. Be grateful. You brat." He flicks my head.

I scowl at him before walking towards the rollercoaster with everyone else. I got to the front of the line and started to have second thoughts when I heard the creepy laughter and tense music. I swallow, placing a hand on my knitted stomach.

"You okay?" Mary asked.

I gave her a half-hearted smile, "Nifty."

I got pushed on to the front seat on the left side, between Trevon and Eli, but I somehow feel like I would fall. I was strapped into my seat tightly, but I was still worried, tense.

When I felt something tangling against my hand, I turned my head to see Eli beside me. He was talking to Mary, weaving our hands together tighter.

I didn't understand what he was thinking. Just when I was about to confront him, I heard the creaking of the cart moving.

Click click click.

The cart drags itself up, and my hands tighten against the bar along with Eli's hand.

Click click click.

I laugh, "It's high, isn't it?"

"Yeah. Look how super high we are. If we were to fall," Eli grinned widely.

I try not to think about what happens when we reach the top.

Click click click.

Suddenly, I was full of doubts about why I allowed them to convince me that it was a good idea; but it's not like I can jump off the ride now.

Click click click.

I look around to distract myself, only to realize how high up I am. Eli's hand tightened on mine, and I looked over. He smiles, "I got you."

Then...Click click whoosh.

And with that...we all fall down.

Everyone scream as the cart race. I wanted to close my eyes, but I couldn't manage to keep them closed. Before I knew it, a smile emerged on my face.

The coaster immediately halted, and I laughed as the bar lifted. "That was so c-"

I look to my right to see Mary burying her head into Eli's chest. Our hands were no longer tangled; instead, it was around Mary. He was holding her, whispering: "It's alright. It's over now."

"Coming out?" Trevon asked.

I smiled and nodded, "Yeah. Getting out right now." The tingly sensation from earlier felt heavy.

We spent the whole day at the amusement park. I saw a merry go round and smile brightly. Immediately, I ran towards it, "Aren't you a bit too old for that?" Trevon mocked me. When I entered middle school, I told my parents I didn't want to ride the merry-go-round because I was too big; because I'm too cool for it.

"I'm sorry, Miss. The amusement park is about to close," a man said. I didn't realize that we spent that much time here.

"Come on, Av. We can come back next year," Trevon attempted to comfort me.