VI. Here Comes the Bride

Ava's POV:

I held my mom while she continued baking. She refuses to allow me to help since I accidentally cracked some shells into the cupcakes earlier. I told her it was an accident, but she didn't believe me. According to her, I inherited my dad's cooking skills. Biologically, that's not possible, but she's my mom, the woman who feeds me, so she is always right.

Trevon stood across from me and narrowed his eyes while he cracked the egg with a single hand. Show off. He inherited his cooking skills from mom.

"Anything happened today?" Mom asked her usual question.

In the past, I used to ignore her. My butt would be in the bedroom or couch, texting, or scrolling through social media. "Yes, I got so much to tell you."

Mom stops spreading the whipped cream. "You want to talk about your day?" It isn't a shock that she wants to clarify my response. I haven't had a mother to daughter discussion with her since middle school.

"Oh my gosh, mom, today was so crazy-" she smiles and continues spreading the cream. "The lines were long for the class schedule. I felt like my legs were going to fall off standing there." I know she is listening very carefully. "But, I met-" I stop talking, remembering Trevon is standing in front of us.

I wonder if it's a good thing to speak about my encounter with Eli, one of Trevon's best friends in front of him. I don't want him to think something is going on between us when there is nothing.

"Did you meet Luke?" Mom intervenes, causing my stomach to swirl, remembering about that guy.

"Of course they did, after all, they're-" I flick a spoonful of whip cream at him. "Hey! Not cool!"

I held my fists on my waist, "Hey! Not cool!" I mock his voice, pitching my tone despite holding higher vocals than him.

Trevon wipes off the cream with his forearm while giving me a nasty glare. He turns towards our breeder, "Mom!"

"Mom!" I stuck out my tongue.

"Stop copying me!"

I lean in closer, "Stop copying me!" Trevon hates it when I mock his voice. I haven't done it ever since we graduated from elementary school, making the feeling so much more nostalgic.

Mom sighs, but the smile was still on her face seeing her kids teasing each other again. "Trevon, go change. Ava, stop mocking your brother. Aren't you too old for that?"

I grasp her arm, "But, mommy," I whined, causing her eyes to roll in amusement.

"Kiss up," Trevon coughs out, before going back into his bedroom.

"So, tell me. Luke?" Mom said teasingly, before wiping the counter from my cream attack earlier.

I sat on the counter, "Nothing is going on between us." She raises a brow before throwing the towel in the sink, preparing to rinse it out to clean the surface once more. "Mom, there was never anything between us to begin with...I was just delusional."

Mom pressed her lip together before twisting out the water, "Oh? But, for the past two years-"

"Delusional," I cut her off. "Nothing is going between us...If there is, it's all gone."

She wipes the counter once more, while my legs dangle in the air. There was a glance at me before she asked: "What happened?"

"Mom...Luke and I...we were-" how can I ever tell my mother that I had a fuckship for the past two years? I sat there, biting onto my tongue, trying to find the right words.

Mom laughs, a sweet low melody, "You don't have to say anything any further. I know what you mean," she said. She rewashes the towel before spreading it out and laying it on the towel rack.