XXXII. Pretty Tears

Ava's POV:

Trevon and I had different therapists.

So, our sessions were always booked at the same time.

I sat in front of my therapist, Dr.Shawn Cordova.

He wasn't old, rather relatively young-looking, perhaps in his mid-thirties, maybe early forties. I can't tell. He had these square glasses framing his face, maybe real or perhaps it's there to give him more of a mature look to hide the babyface.

"You seem comfortable," his tone was somewhat sarcastic.

I chuckle briefly, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. My fingers were playing with the black purse resting on my lap. "A little," I said, scanning the room. There wasn't much, except for a few potted plants and photos. His desk was rather neat, stacked with books and folders.

I wonder if that's what he read during his free time; how it teaches him to judge me. Frankly, I don't know why I'm here. I've had enough judgment to last me several lifetimes. "This is my first time."

Dr.Shawn Cordova nodded, pressing his fingers together. "Why don't you tell me about yourself, Ava?"

I nibble on my lower lip, "You read my files. You know why I'm here."

"I'm asking you to tell me what I can't read on your files. Such as, what do you like to do in your spare time." Such a cliche therapist like question to ask.

"I...I cheer after school."

"So, you're a cheerleader?" he question, and I nodded. "Do you like cheering?"

"I'm the captain."

"Yes, but I'm asking you if you like cheering."

"I don't particularly dislike it," I said.

He writes on his clipboard.

I swallowed, "Are you writing what I'm saying down?"

He looked up and shook his head. "I'm actually drawing." His response got my face crinkle. He turns the clipboard around, showing a sketch of whom I assume to be me.

"You're drawing me?"

He smiles, "Yup. You like it?"

I ponder on the question before answering: "Yeah," I said, inching closer. "But my breasts are a bit bigger." That line burst out of my mouth before I could control it.

Dr.Shawn Cordova turns the clipboard around and looks at the picture before looking back at me. "I'm not going to fall for that."

"Fall for what?"

"Your test," his face was deadpanned serious, "You say this, and then I look down and bang - lawsuit."

Without control and reason, I burst out laughing at his comment. Dr.Shawn Cordova smiled, placing the clipboard down as I wiped the tears from the corner of my eyes.

"Feel better?" he asked me.

I nodded, attempting to decrease the painful sensation bubbling inside my stomach. "Much better."

He stood up and straightened out his outfit. "How about we officially start our session." He places out a palm, "Hello, my name is Shawn Cordova. You may call me Dr.Cordova because I went through ten long, cruel years of expensive schooling to earn that title, and I will keep it. I officially graduated with my Ph.D. from NYU five years ago. Three years ago, I decided to return to my hometown, as cliche as it may sound, because the woman I love is here. Currently, my always angry wife is pregnant with our second child. I like to garden and eat chocolate in my spare time because it helps me cope with the fact that my favorite football team always loses. Oh, and I'm a Pisces."