XVI. Makee-Wood

Ava's POV:

Luke was soundless as he stood there, "You're right."

I look up from my shoes, "I'm always right," I said arrogantly.

A low chuckle left his throat, "Still...Thank you."

"For what?"

He rubs his arm, a soft heart-throbbing action as he weighs his weight from one foot to another. "For being there all those nights. For listening to me."

Standing there, I wonder - if I had come to terms with the fact that Luke never love me and learn to let go.

How would my life go?

I smile, an indifferent one, one that even I don't understand. I wanted to walk away, but looking into his eyes, I knew it was genuine. "What can I say? I'm good at pillow talk," I spoke in a half-joking manner wanting this atmosphere to disappear.

He returns my smile, probably remembering the joke we use to make during the first year we slept together. "Cushion," he responded.

"Bolster."

"Headrest."

"Pad."

"Rest."

"Support," I finally said. "When you need support, this pillow would be here." I bit my lower lip, "Just not sexually," I added on.

It's a weird phrase that Luke and I made up when we first slept together to erase the awkwardness. We would lay there and try to come up with all the different types of terms for pillows.

Why?

I don't know.

It was odd but comforting.

Even I don't understand what we were doing at that time.

All I remember was how awkward it was between us.

Standing there, the hard reality hit me. Luke was also one of the few who had never indirectly ask me to leave when we finished.

"I know things aren't great between us, but if you need anything. I'm here," I said, taking a slim step back.

"I know... You're always there."

With that, I left Luke alone in the hallway, forgetting the fact that my keys were still in my locker. In the end, Eli and Mary share their lunches with me. Ben already ate all his food before I arrived, but he was kind enough to buy me lunch.

"Mom gave you lunch money, just in case. Why don't you use that?" Trevon asked.

I didn't respond because I don't want to lie to my brother...not anymore.

Lies lead to nothing but trouble.

I tap my fingers against the table, one thump at a time as my eyes roll towards the double door seeing Luke walk in. He heads towards his usual table as threw a hand in the air, which his pal took and went in for a bro hug. A smile emits on his face, and everyone knew that the old Luke is back.

His eyes skew toward me, and he smiles. Somehow, that smile seems different.

He waves at me.

Hesitantly, my hand scooted upward, but when I saw Mina walked in with Seth and two others; I opted that decision.

Steadily, it falls on my lap, and I look away.

The week began to wrap up, and the truth reveals itself. Every day as I walk down the hallway, I would see Luke sweet-talking to Mina. He would give her the signature smirk, and she would return it with an eye roll. For a girl who has no backbone, she can sure snap at Luke.