XXX. Your Other Half

Ava's POV:

I made my way back home, much less irritated than I thought. Perhaps, yelling at Landon dramatically decreased the stress bowl in my life.

Or worse, it's because I still don't care about the relationship between Landon and Winnie.

Placing my keys in the bowl, I exhale, "Mom!" I screamed, ready to make some warm hot chocolate with her. It may still be warm outside, but I can taste autumn arrival with the changing leaves color. "Mom!" I shouted once more, opening the door into the living room. I place my purse on the couch. "Mom?" I searched the kitchen.

Scratching my head, I wander upstairs, "Mom?" I head down the hallway. By now, mom should be home from her volunteer job at the orphanage. Yes, that's my mom; unlike her self-centered daughter, she likes to spend her day off work with underprivileged children.

Stepping into my parents' bedroom, my breathing rapid and shallow. I can feel my pulse pounding in my temples as my eyes search for a certain presence. I walk towards the master bathroom, "Mo-" my eyes widen, seeing her lying on the floor.

I rush towards her, sliding my knees against the tiles, unable to fully acknowledge my legs' pain. I held her closely, "Mom! Mom!" I cried, attempting to wake her up.

Quickly, I grasp my phone, unable to press the screen steadily. The phone drops, and I grab it with my sweaty palms. I dial 911, and they immediately inform me what to do next.

After the call of an ambulance, I could only wait. I clenched my hands firmly and continued crying, holding mom close to my chest. "Please be okay. Please, oh God, let her be okay," I repeated over and over, as my froggy eyes grasped the ceiling. "I beg you. Please don't take her away from me."

Right then, the only thing I am aware of is the sound of my heart throbbing against the cage of my chest. I grab the phone once more, calling dad and Trevon; both of them didn't pick up.

I cried, "Pick up. Pick up." I inhale a deep breath through my clogged nostrils; I called the only other person on my mind.

Immediately, the phone click, "Hey there pre-"

"Eli. Eli," I cried, pressing mom head tighter on my chest.

"Ava, what happened?" His tone was no longer joyous.

"My mom. I found her on the floor a-and dad a-and Trevon won't pick up. I-I called the ambulance, but they aren't here yet. What do I do, Eli? What if they don't come? What if some-"

"Ava, breathe."

"B-But...I-I-"

"Ava, listen to me. I need you to breathe."

Quickly, I inhaled a deep breath, attempting to calm myself. However, I failed, and the breaths only came out short and rapid, "I-I ca-can't, Eli. It-It's too h-hard."

I can hear the car engine on the other side, "Ava, you're doing just fine. Keep breathing. Inhale. Exhale." I did as he told me.

"Good. Very good. Don't worry. The ambulance is coming. They will be there soon. Your mom will be fine," he reassured me.

"B-But-"

"Everything will be fine. I need you to continue breathing for me. Okay? Inhale. Exhale. Inhale." Eli's voice was soothing, calming. I did as he told me, and soon enough, the ambulance arrived.

Once they reached my house, they carried mom out of the bathroom and into the streets. The neighbors came out, one by one, to witness what had occurred.

"Are you related to the patient?" The paramedic asks me.

"Yes. I'm her daughter."

"We need you to come with us," he said.