Chapter 99: Thirst

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

We could feel ourselves getting more and more dehydrated, the last of our water was gone. The heat was crazy and we were in the middle of a drought, I was now stripped down to a tank top and a pair of shorts, of course it was more risky since i'm revealing more flesh for the walkers to bite but it was necessary.

Tying my jacket around my waist and putting my hair in up a ponytail using the spare hairband that Tara had i stood "we need to go look for water again" i said putting my hands on my hips. Rick sighed wiping sweat from his forehead with the back of his arm "yeah, divide into two groups alright? The more people the safer you are and the more distance you can cover".

Of course everyone was tired and wanted to do nothing other then laze about they knew that water was needed so no one complained. I went with Carl's group as he was still wary of leaving my side, but i managed to sneak away from the group to search on my own. I huffed trecking through the woods when my foot began to sink.

Pulling my foot out the mud i grinned, if the mud was wet it means there was water nearby. Running along side the damp mud i came to a lake. A polluted lake. Turning around and running and hand through my hair i leaned forward groaning in frustration but luckily my dad taught me ways to filter out this dirty water. Grabbing the water bottles and filling them up with water i ran back towards the group.

When we got back to the road, sitting there were bottles upon bottles of water with a note "from a friend" it read. Eugene ran forward taking a bottle and unscrewing the cap as he was about to down it Abraham knocked it out of his hand "it could be drugged, (Y/N) found some water all we have to do it filter it" Rick spoke up.

Setting up a camp beside the bottles of water i took my jacket and ripped off the pocket, by the time it would be winter i'd need a new jacket anyway. Holding the pocket over the rim of an empty boottle i poured some of the pollted water into the pocket, slowly it began to drip into the empty bottle. the water was semi clear.

Once i had filtered out the water Daryl got a fire going and with an empty can. I poured the semi clear water into the can and held it above the fire. Boiling it would kill bacteria and then it would be safe to drink. It took a while, the water was hot and tasted awful but it was clean and it was needed we could move out soon.

There was a rumbling and shadow casted over us, something dripped onto the fire causing it to sizzle. I looked up, dark clouds, rain clouds. I blinked as water dripped onto my nose, with a grin i stood as more rain fell, with a laugh everyone else stood holding out their arms and letting the rain cool them down.

Eugene held out his tongue so he could catch the rain, the thunder rumbled and the rain grew heavier, we were all soaked now. Knowing that this storm wouldz get out of control we grabbed our stuff after putting out a few cans and bottles to catch the water and we headed out to look for shelter.

Daryl directed us to a barn that he had fround while looking for water, after checking that it was secure and empty we filed in. Rick and the other's barricaded the door and i shuffled towards the end of the barn listening as the rain pounded against the wooden roof. Running a hand through my damp hair i smiled as Carl sat next to me.

He laced our fingers together as i rested my head on his shoulder. I closed my eyes and was finally able to sleep well in the safety of the barn.

~Timeskip~

My eyes snapped open as i heard the sound of harsh banging, looking towards the entrance i saw pretty much everyone up against the door trying to hoold it shut. Walkers were trying to get in, jumping up and running over i pressed my back against the wooden door and then began walking backwards to keep it shut.

The extra man power helped slightly as the door now had less chances of opening. Fingertips peaked through the door and had caught onto a lock of my hair. I squeaked as my hair was tugged through the crack in the door, with a harsh push the door was shut and the weak skin and bone of the walker snapped the fingers falling to the floor and my hair was released.

As we stayed as silent as we possibly could the walkers seemed to give in, the pounding against the door became less and less harsh until i cut to a stop completely. After a few minutes of making sure the walkers wouldn't come back everyone stepped away from the door.

There wasn't a sound outside, shuffling towards a beam that held the barn up i leaned against it, if there was trouble i wanted to be as close to the door as possible to stop it as soon as i could. Carl went over to Judith who surprisingly managed to stay asleep throughout the whole ordeal.

With a sigh i leaned my head back on the beam and closed my eyes, it didn't take long to fall asleep at all. With a final deep breath, i soon began breathing shallow. I  was now fast asleep and blissfully unaware of the havoc happening right outside out door.