Chapter 116: The Ghost by my side

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

Henry was sent to my house not long after I had handed him over to Deanna, he seemed nervous yet happy. Deanna had accepted and he was now officially part of Alexandria, there was a knock on the door.

I stood up from my seat next to Carl who was having a deep conversation with the red headed male, I pulled the door open and there stood Rick in his uniform "I need your help". I pursed my lips at his words and glanced inside the house before nodding and walking out, shutting the door beside me.

I leaned against the barrister of the porch "What is it you needed Rick?" I asked staring up at the darkening sky. He ran a hand through his gel coated hair "I'm going out and I need you to come with me", I rose a brow "are you allowed to leave?" I questioned. Rick rolled his eyes "maybe, maybe not it doesn't really matter at the moment".

I eyed him warily before sighing and nodding "all right, fine let me just go and tell Car-" he gripped my arm stopping me from walking towards the door "no, Carl doesn't need to know". I furrowed my brows, it must've been fairly serious if he didn't want me to tell his own son.

"All right then, we're going to need weapons though".

I crouched down beside the house of the woman who kept all the supplies, ranging from sniper rifles to chocolate. I pressed a finger to my lips as I looked towards Carl "this is the time she usually takes her naps".

I saw the light upstairs switch off, that was our queue to get moving, I reached for the handle and turned it slowly. Letting out a sigh of frustration as I found it locked, I looked over my shoulder at Rick. He held up a large ring of keys "this job has it's perks" he shrugged.

I chuckled and snatched the keys, after testing about a dozen I finally managed to slip a key through the hole and turning it with a quiet 'click' "we're in" I whispered. Pulling out the keys, I handed them back to Rick, no doubt we would need them soon but he could hold onto them for now.

I looked around, it was dark but the sun was still setting so there was faint light shining through the curtains. I headed towards the stairs, walking around the side of them to see a small door attached to the side.

I grinned it had no key hole so it couldn't have been locked, I pulled at the knob and with a small creak it opened revealing a dark staircase. I reached my hand in patting down the walls until I felt slippery plastic beneath my fingertips. I pressed down and a white light switched on, weakly illuminating the stair case.

Despite how eerie it looked and the fear beginning to flood my body, if we were caught we would be kicked out of this sanctuary. I couldn't quite tell if that was a good thing or not, but it was certainly terrifying. I came to the bottom to find another door, this was was indeed locked.

"Damn, what is this place? A maze?" I whispered to myself holding my hand out for the keys, Rick placed them in my hands. I searched through the keys, trying to find one that matched the door, there was a plane unlabelled one, rusty and not very pleasant to look at. Much like the door.

I inserted the key, perfect fit. I grinned at my success and pushed the door open stepping in, the light switch was on the right hand side of the wall. I flicked it on, there was a small room lined on the walls were all kinds of weapons, under the shelves were boxes filled with the more common weapons. If we took some of those than no one would be suspicious.

There was a small window high on the wall near the ceiling, it was obvious we were in the basement. I could see grass peaking up over the window. This place, filled with machines designed to kill was unnerving, despite the fact I knew these could save my life I didn't feel comfortable near so many of them if they weren't handled.

I felt like I was in some kind of horror movie, and had just found the killers stash. Shaking my head I ran over to one of the shelves pulling out a box from underneath, I wanted to use my own gun. The gun my father gave to me but of course if I took it and someone found it missing they would consider me the first suspect.

I would have to pick a gun that wouldn't be missed, something easily overlooked. I pulled out a simple black pistol, pulling out the clip I checked the ammo. Surprisingly it was full, I grabbed another one and turned around holding my hand out with the gun in my palm for Rick.

But when I turned around I faced an empty room, I blinked in shock and looked around "Rick?" I gulped placing the extra gun down and gripping the one in my hand tighter. I held it up defensively and span around to check the perimeter, clear.

Slowly I looked to the door knob to see if he had taken the keys wherever he had gone, I felt shock run through my veins. In the key whole was a bobby pin and a nail file, I stumbled back in fear looking around frantically.

I clenched my jaw "Rick this isn't funny" I whisper yelled, no reply. I was beginning to wonder if he had been there in the first place. I stuffed the gun in the back of my trousers, covering it with my shirt and pulling the nail file and bobby pin out. Turning off the light I shut the door.

I made sure everything was as it was before I had entered before rushing out of the house, as I shut the front door and stepped onto the grass. I sucked in the fresh air greedily, I ran my hands through my hair, eyes wide and racing around as I desperately tried to figure out what the hell had just happened to me.

I gasped and spun around quickly when I heard the door of the house being pulled open, a tired looking woman peaked her head out "(Y/N)? What are you doing here dear?" she asked "I-I just needed to clear my head and went for a walk, I decided to take a break here" I lied smoothly, hoping she didn't hear my stutter.

The woman nodded "All right then sweetie, just be careful okay? Don't stay out too late" she shut the door and I let out a sigh of relief.

I reached behind me feeling for the gun, when I still felt it pressed hard against my back I breathed deeply and began my trek back home.

When I pushed the door open arms gripped my shoulders tightly, I looked up and blinked in surprise. Their stood Carl and he was not happy "Where on Earth were you?! Getting up and walking out, out of the blue! We were worried sick!" he scolded.

"But Rick--" "Dad is upstairs sleeping (Y/N), remember? He went to sleep around 3 hours ago...are you feeling okay?" he pressed the back of his hand to my forehead. My lips parted and I looked down, my eyes darting around the ground.

"This isn't possible" I uttered in disbelief, "Carl" I stared up into his blue eyes, concern swirled in his orbs. "Something is wrong with me, seriously wrong"