Chapter 122: A light in the darkness

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

My head was heavy, every breath sent shooting pain through my lungs, like pins being stabbed through the soft flesh at the speed of light. I could feel the warmth of a sleeping Carl at my side, I could hear the sound of his slow breath.

I peaked my eyes open, the morning light was streaming through the windows. With a quiet groan I placed my hands either side of my body and pushed myself up, into a sitting position. Slowly, I swung my legs over the side of the bed. Letting out a grunt as they dropped, feeling as heavy as lead.

Reaching over to my bedside table, my hand wrapped around the bright orange pill bottle. My hand trembling, fingers twitching as they brushed the bottle. I wrapped my fingers around it, lifting it and pulling it towards me. My weakened grip faltered, the pill bottle slipping from my hand and onto the floor.

With a clatter, the lid popped off sending the semi-large white pills askew on the floor. "(Y/N)?" came a groggy voice from behind me, with a gulp I glanced behind me "s-sorry, it's nothing. You can go back to sleep" I whispered.

Carl gave a suspicious glance "don't worry, I'm just about to take my pills. You need sleep", the corners of my lips twitched up in a small, reassuring smile. He bit the inside of his cheek before letting out a sigh "all right, I'll be up in a few hours", he laid his head back down and closed his eyes.

Sending me a tired smile as he drifted to sleep "love...you" he muttered quickly, before he was out like a light. I bit my lip "...yeah, I love you too" I whispered. As I reached down to pick up the pills and place them back in the bottle, I froze. Stopping dead at the sight of brown, polished boots.

Slowly, my eyes trailed from the boots, to a pair of green tinted suit trousers, a gun holster. A dark blue dress shirt, a dark brown jacket. A tight lipped grin, hint of wrinkles around the mouth. Dark brown locks, grey teasing at the hair.

A single grey/blue eye - an eye patch.

I let out a shriek, shuffling back and into Carl's chest. Said boy shot up at the high pitched noise "(Y/N)? What is it? What's wrong?" he asked worriedly, gripping my upper arms gently. I rose a shaky hand, my index finger pointing ahead of me.

My face contorted in horror "G-" I sputtered, Carl furrowed his brows in confusion "Governor". Carl went rigid at the word that left my lips, his eyes trailing up my arm, following my finger as I pointed into the 'blank space'.

The greying male's smile widened and he crossed his arms, tilting his head to the side slightly "he can't hear you darlin'", he spoke up. I let out a whimper, dropping my hand and clenching my jaw "you're not real" I hissed. 

He chuckled and shook his head "why don't you come and find out?", with a gulp I shuffled out of Carl's grip. My legs falling over the side of the bed once again, I slid onto the floor. Shuddering as the soft pads of my feet hit the cold floor, I leaned down, taking two of the fallen pills into my hands.

Governor dropped his hands by his side, his jaw clenched brow furrowed "don't you dare" he huffed, holding the pills between my fingertips, I held them to my lips. My eyes dead set in a glare upon the male, his face began to droop. His skin pulling from it's bones, much like it had done with Henry not too long ago.

Gulping down my fear, I continued to glare at him. His skin fell to the ground is chunks, revealing bone and muscle tissue underneath. With his eyelids now taking place on my bedroom floor, his eyes were wide in his skull. Governor let out a deafening hiss, lurching his head forward in intimidation.

He had turned himself into a walker, I turned my head to the side as I closed my eyes. His jaws opened as he stepped closer, a glob of blood and saliva dropped onto my shoulder. I quickly tossed the pills into my mouth, wincing as I swallowed them down my dry throat.

The walker gave off a deafening screech as his body began to jerk and he stumbled away from him, the fallen skin on the floor had vanished, and suddenly he was the Governor again. He reached up, gripping his eyepatch roughly and tearing it off.

I froze as my eyes feasted upon what was underneath the cloth, soft, seemingly flawless skin. Paler than the rest of his face, those bright (E/C) eyes "N-...Nicky?" I whispered. "Look at me (Y/N)!" he yelled, Governor's voice overlapped with my brother's "look at what you've done! Look at what you've killed. For the second time" he hissed.

"N-no, you're wrong" I whispered, stumbling back "this is your fault (Y/N), this is all your fault", he threw his head back with a blood curling scream. The skin of his arms began to crack and flake, floating upwards and disappearing.

I let out quick, shagged breaths as I tried to calm myself. Reaching up, I gripped my hair tightly and squeezed my eyes closed. Leaning over as my heart pounded in my chest, I let out a whimper as the Governor and my brother flew away into nothing.

My eyes snapped open and my breath hitched in my throat, my grip on my hair loosening. A warmth. A familiar, oh so welcomed warmth. Carl's arms. Wrapped around my waist as he pressed his chest to my back, resting his head ontop of my own as he let out a calm hum "it's okay (Y/N), it's all going to be okay. I'm here".

The burning tears that had gathered in my eyes, dripped from my eyes. Making their ticklish trail down my cheeks, I bit my lip and leaned back against him. Closing my eyes "yeah, I know. Thank you Carl".