Chapter 72: House that feels like home

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

With the event that just occured between me and Lizzie an awkward silence hung over us Mika gave me a look saying she didn't blame me as well as Tyrone and Carol while Lizzie refused to look at me at all. Something caught the corner of my eyes as we continued to trek through the forest, and i stopped turning to look at it though the tall bushes were in the way. Pushing the leaves aside i gasped as a cabin came into view "look there" i said pointing "that should be a good place to set up" i said the other agreeing with me. Stepping through the bushes with slight difficulty i admired the barbed wire around the property which would help keeping walkers out.

Ducking under the wire we stood in front of the house, Carol passed Judith over to me gently so as not to stirr the sleeping baby. They unholsteres their guns just in case "(Y/N) you stay out here with Lizzie, Judith and Mika okay?" Carol asked, i nodded as they walked towards the cottage and pushed the doors open. I sat on a bench near the flowers making sure Judith was comfortable, Mika sat next to me and Lizzie next to her "i still don't think what you did was right" Lizzie mumured, i sighed "well it doesn't matter now, it's done and it saved our lives. We may not be living but at least we're breathing and we're sane" i replied trying to stay calm.

I shifted so i turned to face her more "why do you want to believe they're nice anyway?" i asked "because...when i die i don't want to be nothing, i want to be something even after my heart stops beating" shue shrugged. Though her words were wise beyond her years what she thought about them was dangerous and one day get us killed. The sound of wood snapping caught my attention, we all jumped up and stumbled away from the house thankfully Judith hadn't woken up by that. A walker started limping towards us "Lizie kill it" i ordered "what? No!" she argued "i can't kill it and risk Judith's life, you need to do this Lizzie!" i yelled not taking no for an answer.

She held her blade in her hand and walked towards the walker hesitantly before squealing and running back "i can't do it, i can't do it" her breath began to run short and i could tell she was hyperventilating "Mika calm her down" i ordered, the young girl did as told "just look at the flowers Lizzie, look at the flowers" she cooed. Bringing out my gun, i position Judith so she was balancing on my hip and covered her ears with my arm, aiming at the walkers head who was almost nose to nose with me i squeezed the trigger. A loud bang sounded through the area, though Judith's ears were protected from damage the noise still startled her so she began to cry, letting out screams of sadness she grabbed my shirt balling it in her small hands.

Holstering my gun i wrapped her up in my arms more securely and gently bounced the baby stroking her back soothingly as her cried began to quiet down. Carol and  Tyrone ran out soon after guns raised, though seeing no enemy and the dead walker they relaxed "it's secure now, this is a good place" they said holstering their weapons "okay let's head in then, we'll go looting later for food" i advised, as no one complained it was agreed.

We made outselves comfortable in the small cabin, it seemed almost like everything happening outside wasn't happening at all, like the walkers catching themselves on the barbed wire were nothing. It was an actually home, one that seemed so...lived in like a porper home! Tyrone had already started a fire in the fireplace as there were already some logs in there, the fire illuminated the darkening room with a orange glow it was nice.

Lizzie Tyrone and Mika were sitting on the sofa in front of the fire while Carol and i were attending to Judith's nappy change on the table. Handing the elder woman some baby powder i sighed looking out the window "it seems it's going to be too dark for supplies but i saw a tree with some healthy nuts in 'em, quite a lot of them too so it should be fine for tonight, we can go find some real food tomorrow morning" i informed, Carol nodded in agreement as she slid on Judith's nappy. The baby happily asleep now.

It's odd, i never felt this at home ever since this whole thing started, it's like the first time in forever i found a house that feels like home...