chapter 19: just that much closer

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

I got tired of watching Carl and Shane so i decided to go up to them instead "hey guys, how's it progressing?" i asked Shane shrugged "nowhere  yet i'm just teaching him the different parts of the gun" he said "hey, i think i would like to teach him how to actually shoot" i suggested "sure" Shane said "well, we're just about done so you go ahead" Shane nodded and walked off. Carl seemed nervous "you OK?" i asked he didn't reply, instead he just shook even more. I sighed and held his free hand "it was scary for me too, my first time...i almost shot my dad in the face" i laughed awkwardly at the 'that-didn't-help' glare i was getting from him. i sighed and gripped his hand tighter "remember our promise, i will never leave. I will always be here for you so just trust me OK?" i put his hand under his hand on the gun and aimed and the can "keep both eyes open when your using a hand gun, aim lower so when it draws back after you shoot you'l hit dead on. Then when you squeeze the trigger hold your breath, it will stop you from shaking so much" and with that he shot...bulls eye! "thanks (Y/N)" he said as he gave me a hug "yeah, yeah. Try again on your own this time" i said as i backed away from him. He aimed and shot, another bulls eye "now now, don't surpass your teacher" i warned him with a playful glare.

Carl kept shooting all the different bottles and cans getting a bull's eye every time "well done (Y/N) you've made him real good" Shane said as he planted his hand on my shoulder "thanks" i said looking over at Carl to make sure he doesn't shoot himself. Carl looked back over to us and waved i smiled and waved back, he obviously wasn't paying attention and he shot the ground...right next to his foot. I marched over and hit him on the back of his head "keep you finger off the trigger unless you are ready to shoot, also never get your gun out unless you are willing to shoot" i said with my hands on my hips "you've got yourself a good teacher" Shane muttered to Carl as he walked off "yeah  but a strict one" Carl mumbled "i heard that!" i yelled at him "sorry!" he squeaked. Car tried to shoot a walker that was coming this way but he missed "awww...dang it!" he yelled, i giggled "a moving target is much harder to shoot than a can Carl" i told him as i reached for my own gun and shot the walker right in the eye "bulls eye" i joked "how do you do it?" he asked. I giggled yet again and walked over to him motioning him to aim at another walker "you must predict it's next move" i told him "shoot!" i ordered and he shot again but missed.

I sighed and walked behind Carl wrapping my arms around his to guide him, i put my head on his shoulder to get a better view and whispered so i wouldn't blow his ear drums "predict...aim...and shoot" the walker fell dead. Carl didn't speak as i still didn't let him go i just stayed there...my arms wrapped around him "Carl?" whispered nudging his neck with my nose to get his attention "you OK?" i asked but still got no reply, i felt him tense at every gesture...every word...every touch.

*Carl's P.O.V*

(Y/N) stayed there with her arms around me and kept whispering to me, honestly my face must look like a tomato and i didn't want her to see that so i didn't move "Carl?" she whispered again evidently breathing on my ear and making me tense up "you OK?" she asked as she nudged my neck with her nose. I gulped as the blood continued to go to my face. She let go and tried to look at my face but i turned around faster "i-i'm gonna s-see Hershel for my...uhm, c-check up" i stuttered as i ran off towards the house.  I ran into the house and barged into the room that held Hershel who was cleaning the medical slab i shut the door behind and leaned on it with a sigh "what's wrong?" Hershel asked "i think i'm sick" i told him as i sat down on the bed "why? What are the symptoms?" he asked "well, my stomach feels weird...almost light and the blood goes to my head, i can't think straight and i freeze or just shake uncontrollably" i told him truthfully. Hershel chuckled and sat down next to me "do you feel that way around a specific person?" he asked "yeah...only around (Y/N)" i muttered "son, you're in love" "what? With (Y/N)? but she's but best friend?" i whined "i know son, bu now'a days you can't afford to be picky" Hershel said as he put his hand on my shoulder. I looked down and fumbled with my hands until i heard a knock on the door. Hershel got up to open it and let the person in "i'll leave you two alone" Hershel said as i glanced at the person who just so happened to be (Y/N)...the one and only, i really wish Hershel didn't leave, things are going to be awkward now.

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

I sat next to Carl on the bed trying to get rid of the awkward atmosphere "so...why did you run off?" i asked "well, umm...you see...i...felt a little light headed so i came to see Hershel in case anything was wrong" he said i looked at him unconvinced and sighed letting it go. Then an idea popped into my head and i giggled "what? were you embarrassed about how i was holding you because it's usually the boys that hold the girls like that?" i asked nudging him with my elbow he scoffed "what? pfft, no" he turned his head to the side "nah, i'm sorry i made things awkward" i apologized "but at least you got the hang of shooting a moving target" i smiled and he smiled back getting rid of the tension. I pushed him playfully "come one, lets go bother Daryl" i told him with a grin as we both sped off to find him.

"oh Daryl~" i cooed in a sing-song voice, he groaned "whaddya want?" he asked "oh nothing~" i lied "if your here to other me you can just p**s off, i'm not in the mood" he snapped and Carl and i huffed. I motioned Carl to wait over by a tree so i could talk to Daryl alone "did you have a fight with Carol?" i asked "why do you always think it's about her?" he asked "cause it almost always is, you two are like an old married couple" i giggled and he rolled his eyes "your a good man Daryl, i wish you would stop acting like the bad guy" i said leaning against his motorbike with him "who says i'm acting?" he asked "it's obvious" i said as i looked at him with an 'are you kidding me' face. Daryl looked up at the sky "looking for that little girl it all just seems like a waste of time  you know" he said as he looked back down at me "i understand what you're trying to say but...if it's for the good of at least one person i don't think it's a waste of time" i said looking back at him "guess your right" he sighed as he ruffled my hair "now scram" he ordered, i giggled and walked towards Carl to go and mess with someone else.

With Carl and Daryl, heck with everyone i've gotten...just that much closer to them then i thought i would, i'm grateful for all that i have and all that i've had. I just hope i can hang on to this...this peacefulness.