Please don't shut me out

"Nikolai? Where are you?" came my happy chirp, my voice breaking off into a playful giggle. The hallways I found myself in were dark, barely any light illuminated my path, but I paid no mind. Focusing on the sound of light feet, pitter pattering against the wooden floors.

"Come and find me (Y/N)!"

My brother's sweet voice rang through the air, bouncing off of the walls and guiding me towards his direction. The smile on my face grew as I rushed forward, in the direction that his voice sounded.

The hallways winded and turned like a maze, I had no chance of remembering my way back, but it wasn't like I wanted to.

"(Y/N)~" his coo rang louder, I was growing closer, with a fluttery laugh, I followed the voice until I came to a stop, at the end of the hallway I turned down was a door, left wide open, inviting me inside.

The room was dark, pitch black almost, save the faintest light at the opening, drawing me closer. Hearing my brother call my name one last time, the sound was coming from inside the dark room.

Without a moments hesitance, I made my way into the room, light disappeared as the door slammed behind me. The grin slipped off of my face "Nicky? Are you here?" I whispered shakily.

"Turn around (N/N)" his voice had dropped a few octaves and suddenly the air around me had turned cold. He spat out my nickname, which he once spoke lovingly, with venom, as if the word tasted sour in his mouth.

I could feel the hairs on my arms and the nape of my neck stand on end, I turned around slowly, trembling with dread.

And I turned around all the way, the sight of the person before me made me want to vomit. Nikolai stood there, the bite mark on his head bled profusely, dripping onto the floor, running down the side of his face and staining his shirt crimson.

Under the tearing of skin, I could see the white glistening of skull, open and indented with scratch marks, where my mother's teeth had scraped against it.

In the centre of his head was the bullet hole I had left, blood streaming down his nose and dripping onto the floor "why did you do it big sis? Why did you shoot me?".

"N-no-- I didn't--" my hands flew up to cover my mouth as I felt my stomach churn, I was grateful for the tears quickly building in my eyes, obscuring my vision of my brother before me.

"You killed us" came a sudden voice from behind me, jumping I hurried to turn around, my chest compressing at the fear that jolting through me.

The familiar scent of her floral perfume wafted towards my nose. Filling me with relief and nostalgia "mu--"

"You killed us" she spoke again, the sweet smile on her face twisted, pulling down in a frown "YOU RUINED EVERYTHING"

I awoke with a jolt, Carl jumping out of surprise, looking to me worriedly "are you okay?" he mumbled quietly.

I bit my lip and reached up to my sticky cheeks, pulling my hands away to note that they were wet with tears. Hurriedly I wiped at my eyes and cheeks, cleaning my face of tears. I cleared my throat and shook my head "yeah, yeah I'm okay" I whispered.

As my gaze settled on the window, the car pulled to a stop. I let out a sigh of relief and hurriedly unbuckled my seat belt, slipping out of the car. My shoe came into contact with the dirt and immediately a gust of wind brushed over us.

Closing my eyes I let the breeze cool my heated skin, tingling as it washed over my heated skin. I closed the car door as the others began to slip out of the RV.

We had stopped on a mountain in a clearing by the road, mostly hidden, but being on a mountain, the chance of those things turning up here was less than likely.

Stepping towards the edge of the clearing, a deep breath of amazement left my lips at the sight before me. The city below looked minuscule from this height, it looked unaffected by the sudden plague that washed over us.

It looked like nothing happened, like everything that we had experienced up until now was just a terrible dream. But I knew that it wasn't, I knew that down there people were suffering, I knew that down there those monsters were still roaming, waiting to ruin another life.

"(Y/N)?"

I jumped at the sudden call of my name, quickly spinning around to see who it was that had interrupted my thoughts. I let out a quiet sigh of relief at the sight of Carl standing there, worried expression playing on his face.

I willed the fear drilled thumping of my heart to stop and glanced back to the scenery "it's beautiful up here" I whispered, breaking the silence.

Biting his lip, Carl nodded his head and came up to stand by my side. He took a deep breath, eyes closing for a brief moment as he mentally prepared himself "what were you dreaming about?" he mumbled after a moments hesitance.

I paused, lips parting before closing once more. Brows furrowed I glanced down to the gravel covered ground "it was nothing".

I could see him clench and unclench his jaw in my peripheral vision, his head shaking "it wasn't nothing (Y/N), you were crying and whimpering, you said your brother's name".

"I said it was nothing" my words came our harsher than I expected, immediately I could see the male's jaw snap closed. A thick silence hung over us, and I tried my best to look away from the male.

"I'm sorry" he whispered "I'm just worried about you".

Biting my lip I nodded and glanced back up to the scenery "I know" came my quiet reply. "Talk to me (Y/N), please don't shut me out".

I turned to glance at him, Carl's clear us were building with tears. I could feel the sharp tug of guilt in my stomach, knowing I was the one to put those tears in his eyes.

"I can't lose my best friend too" he whispered, reaching his hand out for me.

I took a step back, out of his reach, the hurt that flashed across his face didn't escape my sight. I ignored the painful squeezing in my chest "you're not going to lose me" I replied quietly, my voice breaking pitifully.

"Then why do I feel like I already have?"